Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Up On the Roof


Last night a few friends and I watched the 4th of July fireworks from my roof. What a great view! Not only did we see most of the National Mall fireworks (partially obscured through a tree), but we also must have seen every other display in the metro region! It was a 360 degree display of fireworks.

We started on my roof deck . . . but then one of the group decided to see if the view was better on the roof proper. Sure enough, it was spectacular.

While up there, we reminisced some on our childhood experiences with fireworks. I remember watching fireworks the country club nearby set off - sometimes we walked down to the golf course to watch, other times we set up chairs in the middle of the street to watch (ah, the benefits of suburban living - watching from the middle of the street). I also remember one particularly fabulous display at Royal's Stadium. And there were those years we were at the beach or back East for the 4th. I remember the bicentennial year . . . the tall ships and fireworks, making ice cream at my grandparents' and celebrating my sister's birthday. Then there was the year "monkey island" caught fire in my neighborhood. It was a sizeable island in the road that separated three roads in a triangle shape. I was awed as the teenage boys in the neighborhood ran with buckets of water to try to put the fire out until the fire department arrived. Pretty cool. And of course there was the year my brother set up an elaborate battle with his plastic army men. My parents always got a great variety of fireworks for us to explode and throw at each other.

Times have changed. I bought sparklers for the group and was amazed how they failed to last more than about 30 seconds. One of my friends remarked that when we were growing up they were probably three times the size they are now. And they must be made of something different because they don't have the light trail when you spell your name in the air. Bummer.

I'm not promoting being stupid with fireworks, but come on - we all survived!

I shouldn't complain. At least fireworks are legal in DC and I could buy them and enjoy them. In fact, several people in the neighborhood bought really nice fireworks and we enjoyed them immensely - up on the roof.

No comments: