Sunday, July 24, 2005

Rock Creek Park

This morning, Zoe and I hiked a loop of Rock Creek Park we used to hike daily when I lived in Mt. Pleasant. What a glorious morning! The humidity has finally lessened and though it is still hot, it was actually nice out - especially in the shade of the trees in the park.

I have said before in this blog I miss the park. I don't get there nearly enough. While living in Mt. Pleasant, the park was for all intents and purposes my backyard. Now it's at least a 15 minute drive to get there. Certainly worth the trip, but far less convenient than walking a couple of blocks. Maybe it's a city mentality, but if you have to make a special trip, it's complicated! I can walk to everything else I need or want and I can't take Zoe on the metro.

As I was hiking, I kept thinking I should be RUNNING. Due to my "show hair" already being set (yeah, think old-fashioned sponge curlers) I couldn't run today. So hopefully this weather will hold for a few days and I can get those 10 miles in.

The park was pretty quiet early on a Sunday morning and I took my time and enjoyed the scenery. Zoe was, of course, busy in the creek looking for fish. One place in particular had her attention for a while, so I found my way onto a rock above it and sure enough, there were fish! She hasn't caught any - she's about as subtle as a I am in the water - but she keeps trying.

I hope we can make more special trips to this special park.

No comments: