Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Number Five

Well who would have thought it? DC ranks, according to Runner's World, 5th in the 25 best running cities in America. I must admit, I'm surprised.

But looking at the article and how they decided on ranking, it makes some sense. The places they mentioned are some of my favorite running routes and I've always heard great things about the Army 10-miler. Guess I need to give it a try.

My current "maintenance" route takes me past the Capitol Building, along some of the house buildings, past the Botanical Gardens, and I can see the new Museum of the American Indian. If I could convince Zoe to run a little further, we could do the loop down to the Washington Monument. SIGH. It's just too hot for her to add the mileage. We had a good run this morning, however.

It makes me want to run some of the other cities mentioned. I've run part of the Lakefront in Chicago; I've put in a few miles in San Francisco (but couldn't tell you where); I've run some of the Charles River in Boston; and though I wasn't crazy enough to run Barr Trail or "incline" when I lived outside of Colorado Springs, I did run the Cripple Creek 10K (10,000 meters at 10,000 feet)! About mile four of that run I thought my lungs were going to implode. I know exactly what they're talking about when they mention Adams Mountain Cafe - YUMMY!

My desire to run these other places goes hand in hand with the desire to vacation around a marathon. Really, it just appeals to my love of travel - but it gives me an excuse. Silly, huh? Who needs an excuse?

But that Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage sounds like a perfect excuse just the same!

No comments: