Wednesday, July 13, 2005

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ZOE!

Today, my sweet chocolate lab turns eight years old. I just cannot believe it.

It just doesn't feel as if she's been in my life that long. I have so many hilarious, happy, and not-so-happy memories of my time with her: watching her in the puppy pen scoot away from her brother (just days old and already establishing her independence and her desire to not be cuddled); trying desperately to keep her and her brother (Rupert) from eating rabbit droppings (THOUSANDS OF THEM) while keeping my niece from racing into the lake at Shawnee Mission Park; Zoe chasing butterflies in the same park hardly able to see over the tall grass; Zoe and Rupert playing king of the mountain on my niece's turtle sandbox; her first cross-country road-trip and struggling to find pet-friendly hotels; her first swim in the ocean; her first rolling on a dead animal and the subsequent rollings in stinky things; teaching her to be off-leash and her nearly being hit by a car (fortunately we survived both); her nearly being killed by an Emu at Frank's farm (funny, but a bit terrifying in the moment); rope-swinging into the river in Lexington and Zoe's constant "rescue" swims; her disappointment that a bunch of duck decoys in the river weren't real; running with her and her need to be the boss and set the pace by grabbing her leash and pulling; ear infections; walks in the woods with Paul and Monty; looking for fish in Rock Creek; looking for fish in the DC fountains (I give her credit for her focus if not for her ability to learn there will NEVER be fish there); rollerblading with her and often getting a pull from her; and so many many many more.

She has been, with few exceptions, my constant companion for these past eight years and I have watched her age gracefully. She has moments when I see the puppy she was and rejoice she's still inside. She's graying. She's slowing down. She's mellowing out. And there are certainly some benefits in her aging - she endures my cuddling with her more often and for longer periods of time, she shares the couch with little to no complaint, she sleeps in more often and later, and we understand each other. I dread the day I have to say good-bye . . . but have hope it's still several years away.

You can accuse me of anthropomorphism (the great sin of science) but I don't care. She's my little girl and I love her. And today is her birthday. If you have a memory of Zoe, please share it with us as a birthday gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't get a chance to read this entry until this morning...but since I'm about to head up to Maine, I thought it appropriate to share a "maine" memory of Zoe. She was still just a puppy when you came up to see me at my dad's that winter--but already bigger than Megan, Dad and Barbara's scottie. Of course, Megan had ruled the roost there with no interruption since she had arrived about five years earlier. Enter Zoe: exit Megan's supremacy. It was that simple. Megan's gone now, and in ruling in her place are a pair of scotties--yes, it took two to replace her. But Dad and Barbara have often commented that they need to get Zoe to visit to teach "the girls" a little humility.....

Anonymous said...

Awww, I can't believe I missed her birthday! A happy belated one to you, Zoe!!!!

As for memories, all I'm going to say is that she helped get me through the worst week of my life and I will always love her for it.