Thursday, July 21, 2005

Drinking for the Cause

Last night I went to a happy hour in Bethesda. One of my Tegla teammates was "guest bartending" and while working raising money the AIDS Marathon. What a good time!

She had never bartended before and once she got the hang of draft beer, really seemed to belong behind the bar. The place ended up packed and while there a certain percentage of the bar's profits went to her. Plus she had tip buckets all over the place that went directly to her - what a great idea! I'm already considering having a happy hour at our new "dive" on Pennsylvania Ave this fall.

But BEFORE then is the LUAU! My housemate and I are throwing a combo house-warming and fundraiser Luau. This will be the first time we've brought together our friends and the invite number is high (well over 100) so I have high hopes I can raise a fair amount of money. We're both very excited - we've already ordered the party decorations and "favors". The place is already pink (very tropical) with pink flamingoes out front . . . just add tiki torches and some grass skirts and it will sure FEEL like Hawaii - especially with the weather we've been having. I had to resist the coconut bra . . . I was afraid I couldn't fill it.

Anyway, I'm very excited and hope lots and lots of people will come and get "leied" for the AIDS Marathon. At the very least, dance the hula, do the limbo, and have a drink for the cause.

No comments: