Monday, July 04, 2005

C & O Canal and Towpath

Yesterday, Zoe and I ran our six miles along the C & O Canal. This is one of our favorite spots. In fact, this is where I trained for the past five marathons.

I don't get to the canal as often these days. My training is now happening along the D.C. Waterfront and the National Mall. I'm not sorry for the change of scenery, but I was very happy to revisit the canal.

Zoe was thrilled. She ran happily the whole way with a few swim stops along the route. We start at Fletcher's Boat House (see map above) and run north along the path to lock 5 and back again (I've been almost to Great Falls on a run . . . a 20+ miler). It's a beautiful run with plenty of wildlife to see (ducks, geese, blue herons, turtles, birds - I've even seen deer out there early in the morning) and it's easy on the legs as it's gravel and dirt. There's plenty of shade along the route most of the way and you're never too far from the Potomac. In fact, Zoe takes a dip in the river along the route. And of course there are plenty of other runners and bikers.

I was surprised how easy the six miles were for me - even on my own.

In the past, I've always had company along this route. Five years ago it was the Galloway Group. Then one of that bunch, Rick, joined me for the next four marathons. He's hugely responsible for my finishing all four of those and he's a bit of a hero of mine. He runs along the canal almost every day (he runs into work) and with a few years on me is still finishing marathons with me or AHEAD of me! He's also kind, generous, and been a good friend to me over the past five years. It's a little strange running without him, actually.

I think Zoe misses him especially. When she arrives at the canal, she searches vainly for him before we begin to run. You see, Rick always has treats for Zoe before and after a canal run. He keeps them in the trunk just for her! Whenever she sees a man vaguely resembling him, she pulls and pulls against the leash to run up to him. It usually takes all my strength to keep her from surprising the poor fellow!

One of these days, I hope to enjoy a maintenance run with my pals Rick and Zoe on the canal. Until then, I'm running happy on my own, or with Team Tegla on the Waterfront.

No comments: