Friday, July 29, 2005

Time Trials

That's what Team Tegla's pace group leader likes to call his weekly update on our mile splits. He e-mails them to us so we can determine if we're on track with our pace.

Well, Team Tegla likes to break the speed limit. In fact, we've gotten into some trouble with our coach for going too fast. I realize we're not the only group - they've actually put "speed cops" on the course and if we're ahead of our pace by too much, they stop us.

We must've gotten some cops bad at quick math two weeks ago.

We are supposed to be running a 10-minute-mile training pace. Well, we AVERAGED an 8-minute-mile pace two weeks ago, and that's with walk and water breaks!!! Who knows what we were actually running!!!

I'm not sorry for being able to run the speed . . . but I certainly felt it . . . especially at mile six where we ran a 7:30. It was hot and I finally spoke some words to our pace group leader. He's a great guy, but ex-military so I think he has a higher threshold for pain than I do. As I was gasping for air at a stoplight and dizzy from the blazing sun I wanted to cry. He looked like he was hardly sweating. Damn Army (I believe their philosophy is "train it like you want to run it").

As I mentioned in my last post I missed last weekend. They were slightly better behaved for the 10-miler. It will be very interesting to see how we manage 12 miles tomorrow. Fortunately the intense heat and humidity has broken and tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy and cooler (maybe even rain). And I have a crawfish boil to look forward to!

So lookout speed cops - Team Tegla's on the road.

No comments: