Friday, July 15, 2005

Any Press is Good Press

How many of us really believe that any press is good press? When you work in the theatre, bad press - or even mediocre press - can be TERRIBLE.

Why? Because for some reason people believe that critics really know what is good and what is bad and they may not go see a play just because the review isn't great. It's really sad that ONE PERSON'S opinion can sway an entire city of people to see a show or not see a show. Don't get me wrong, many critics are smart, educated in the theatre, and thoughtful about what they say. But I repeat, it is ONE PERSON'S opinion. I often disagree with my theatre friends about plays we have seen. I often disagree about food, movies, music, and a slew of other things! That's because taste is personal and people should make up their own mind about a show by going to see it. If it sounds like something you might like - if you like "Shakespeare Sitcoms" - then by all means GO SEE IT.

Why else can bad press be terrible? Because working in the theatre (or any creative endeavor) is more than just a job to most of us and bad press can debilitate an actor (or artist, or writer, or musician) who is perhaps particularly vulnerable in their work at the time. Sure, it happens to all of us at some point or another. Sure, we learn to protect ourselves with "thick skins" and most of us don't bother reading press. I'm usually in that category myself and how I came to read this review this time is a series of special circumstances. Yet in spite of all of our work to shield ourselves from hurt, by nature we artists remain open and subsequently do get hurt by bad press. It has made people leave their work. It has blocked even brilliant, successful artists of all kinds. Should one person's opinion wield that kind of power? I say no.

Why am I complaining, you might ask, since the critic said fine things about me? Because I saw what it did to another friend and it made me mad. Remember the Gremlin I spoke of? Bad press gives Gremlins a LOT to talk about. The kind of talk that filled my friend with self-doubt and embarrassed him.

We artists (and sure, I use that term loosely quite a bit, but work with me) put ourselves on the line each time we share our creative self with an audience. But who critiques the critic? Sure, their opinions get read, but are they putting THEMSELVES on the line to speak their mind? Really on the line? Stripped down, bare-naked on the line? Again, I say no.

Remember, an enjoyable, entertaining evening out can be remembered for a long time. Moving an audience to laugh or cry is real talent. Writing an opinion that moves people in front of reality television isn't talent. And also remember "any press" will be lining bird-cages and wrapping fish the next day.

So go to the theatre and do your own critiquing.

No comments: