Friday, July 08, 2005

London Bridges Falling Down

We all remember that childhood song . . . how especially morbid it feels today, the day after the underground and bus bombings.

I am stunned, sickened, and saddened by the attacks. My heart aches for London and all of Great Britain. Here we go again.

I lived in London long ago as an exchange student - not a care in the world in spite of the fact that the IRA was still in their heyday of bombing. I lived just inside Regent's Park and one of the more convenient tube stations was Edgeware Station - one of the unfortunate sites of yesterdays attacks. And King's Cross Station was still closed while I lived there from the tragic fire the previous year - yesterday a site of fear and death again.

I'm not going to get on my soap-box today to rant . . . what would be the point? I will no doubt have to say something down the road about it, but for today I just want to keep a place I called home for a short time close to my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite Winston Churchill quote...

"You do your worst - and we will do our best."

Fitting.