Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Yard Work Out

So after two and a half weeks of dragging my heels about my yard - do I hire a service or buy a new mower? - I made my decision. It wasn't a tough decision really after I called several lawn service companies and was quoted anywhere from $25 - 40 per visit. ACK. No way. So I chose a new mower.

From there I had my work cut out for me. I am not a fan of lawn mowers. They are very bad for the environment, loud, and require too much maintenance. Now I knew about electric mowers, I have seen them in action, but my yard is too cut up and the only outside outlet I have is actually in the garage, so that wasn't going to be practical.

Then my father told me about CORDLESS electric mowers. What? I had never heard of such a thing! How exciting! So I did some research online and found the Black & Decker CMM 1200 was pretty highly rated and sounded perfect for me! It's electric but battery operated so there's not cord to worry about, virtually maintenance free, and quiet as mowers go. FABULOUS!

So I called around and found it at a local Lowe's. It wasn't cheap - oh no! - but I figured without buying gas and the annual tune-ups and all that, it would work out in the end. Besides, the environment is worth it!

So I picked it up, brought it home, and put it together so it could charge overnight.

This afternoon, I decided to alleviate my neighbors' fears and sideways glances and finally mow. And let me tell you, this little baby - that looks like a TOY - is TERRIFIC! I LOVE IT! It was easy to start, and hummed along nicely the entire time. It delivered everything as promised and when I finished, I wiped it down and plugged it back in for next time.

There is just ONE thing. It doesn't help you propel it like most modern gas mowers do. And though my yard is quite flat, it's still one hell of a work out. Of course, the grass was VERY high so I imagine next time will be a little easier, but still . . . I can feel the work in my arms and back. But it's a GOOD feeling. Really. Not only am I making my lawn look nicer without hurting the environment, I'm getting solid exercise.

I can live with that.

Tomorrow's yard work out? Weeding to plant flowers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well kudos for your environmental thoughtfulness... However, the environmental impact of making the batteries, not to mention, disposal when they need to be replaced, along with the electricity used to charge it for each use...pretty much negates any impact a well tuned gas mower might have...
the electricity used to charge your new mower is likely made by burning coal (being in the Midwest)

Don't mean to poo-poo on your purchase, but things much more complicated than all us tree-huggers want to admit...

Anonymous said...

I would disagree with anon...The pennies of electricity used to charge the mower are far less (I would guess) than the equivalent amount of gas used in a traditional mower (and "well tuned" is a misnomer with most mowers).
yes, the electricity is probbaly from coal fired plants, but most utilities (at least here in NYS) offer a choice of which power form you would like (for instance, we get all of ours from wind and hydro - it costs a few pennies more, but it's worth it for us).
Also, the disposal of most batteries now at recycling centers helps to off-set the inital problems with their manufacture.
it is complicated, but it requires ALL of us to take baby steps and not sit around and say "Well, it's not that much of a difference."
Brian