Sunday, June 22, 2008

New Running Shoes

Hurrah! I have new running shoes!

Yup, yesterday I finally sucked it up and went to the local running store and purchased my much needed new shoes.

I love local running stores. They are far better than going to a major chain because they're really knowledgeable about the sport and they are your best link to what's happening in the region. I picked up several race brochures and hope to even run one or two of them. Plus, they have information on local running groups, so if I need some help training I know where to go!

And this place was even better because the young man selling me my shoes didn't automatically try to fit my into the most expensive shoe. He was really working with me to find the best shoe for me. Does that ever happen at your major chain stores?

He started fitting me in Ascics because all of my shoes for probably the past 8 years have been Ascics. But he also included the comparable shoe of other companies and lo and behold I have returned to Saucony! I'm really surprised, but they honestly felt better and after all the trouble I had this past year, I'm willing to jump ship and see if I can stay healthy in a new shoe.

This morning, I gave them their first test drive with Zoe. We had a good run. I never know with Zoe . . . she's been semi-retired as a running partner now for a couple of years so it's always a risk, but since I wanted to start out slow I decided to bring her along.

Now, I meant to head to the South Creek Trail which is just over a mile from my new house and one that Zoe and I walk nearly every day. It offers Zoe some swim time which is required along the way and she can be off leash much of it. But Zoe in her stubborn way demanded we go a different way. If fact, we took a way we have never been. Normally we'll walk north or south, leading eventually to the aforementioned trail or to Phelps Grove Park. But today, Zoe insisted we travel EAST - brand new direction for us. So off we went and she ran along happily as long as she controlled where we were headed. We ran through a hospital campus (avoiding construction along the way) and eventually found our way to the Springfield National Cemetery. Now, having lived in DC and in my last two years there spent a great deal of time at Congressional Cemetery, I was curious. So we entered and ran around the main area. As it turns out, the cemetery is split up and in between the two grounds is yet another cemetery, Hazelwood Cemetery. So Zoe and I decided to investigate - in spite of the "no pets" sign at the entrance. Now don't worry, folks, I kept her leashed and on the road.

So we wandered around there for a while and I could tell Zoe was starting to feel the heat. So we headed home.

I couldn't tell you how far we ran. I don't even know how long we ran, except that I think it was over an hour. It sure felt good to get out and explore my new town this way. So leg permitting, I'm looking forward to my regular running routine again. I'll feel better, I'll get to know my town a little better, and I can eat all the Ben & Jerry's singles I want!

No comments: