Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Dumb and Dumber

No, I am not referring to the silly movie with Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels. I am referring to my movers.

Yes, it was a trying move to say the least and unfortunately, my dealings with Dumb and Dumber Moving Company are not over. It's too bad because my impression of them prior to getting here was very good. The salesman was excellent, the price was cheaper than the competition, and my movers that moved me out were rock stars. Seriously, I was so pleased.

Then I got here.

And these are the lowlights:

-I waited (or wasted) 8 days for them to deliver my furniture when I was promised 5.
-On day 4, I called for the umpteenth time to get a delivery date and the woman I spoke to said she still didn't have one. What? Okay, so I started to get a little angry and basically said, "Are you waiting for somebody else to move to Missouri to share a truck with me?" Well, that put a little fire under her backside and after sitting on hold for a million years she came back with a delivery date. Hmmm.
-So the movers arrive as promised in a small truck (HMMM) and start unloading. The first thing to greet me is a BROKEN wood plant stand that had been my grandmother's.
-Then the movers aren't reading the boxes for "fragile" or "this side up" or "do not stack" they are just dumping and running.
-Then one of the movers asks me why I have two box springs. Excuse me? I DON'T have two box springs. Sure enough, they've delivered me somebody else's box spring . . . but no mattress. Fortunately they locate that buried on the truck.
-They continue to carelessly unload and I notice that things that had been carefully wrapped by the Illinois movers were no longer so carefully wrapped. HMMMMMM.
-Then they try to tell me they have to leave . . . without having put everything back together that had been taken apart by the movers to be wrapped by them. NO WAY. I put my foot down and said they needed to do rebuild my desk, a book shelf, my bed, put the TV where it belongs, and put the grill together.
-So I check on the bed . . . no bed frame. EXCUSE ME? Sure enough, the bed frame is missing. How does THAT happen? Maybe it's at the house of the poor box spring person.
-Then I check on the desk - loose - and the bookshelf - also loose - and the grill . . . it's missing a leg. Just one! I am clearly dealing with idiots here. It doesn't seem like much, but as the grill is a charcoal grill on a TRIPOD of legs, one missing renders the grill unusable!
-So as the movers are driving away from my house I am on the phone to start complaining. I am told they will look in the warehouse and get back to me in two days. On day THREE, I call them and am put on hold for 20 minutes before I even get to speak to anybody. When I finally do speak to somebody, I am put on hold AGAIN . . . and after 10 minutes I hang up and call back . . . to be put on hold again. UGH. Eventually I am told that there is nothing there I am looking for and I need to file a complaint. Oh joy.
-So over the next couple of days, as I unpack, I tally up my complaints and the count is (this is only complaints about STUFF, not service): one missing bed frame, one missing grill leg, one bent bike (yup, BENT), one bent patio table, one broken plant stand, and one broken antique lamp. The antique lamp is a big deal . . . the broke the switch right off and it cannot be fixed by me or even the hardware guy. I have to take it to a special place . . . and the hardware guy estimated it would cost upwards of $400 or more to fix it. I am heartbroken as it was my grandparent's floor lamp.

Oh Dumb and Dumber are going to pay. And pay big.

And if they don't . . . they can read all about themselves online and at the Better Business Bureau.

'Cause unlike the movie (or like the movie depending on your taste), this Dumb and Dumber is no laughing matter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes....make them pay and pay and pay! There's NO EXCUSE for that kind of shabby treatment! Write to the BBB AND trhe Illinois AG's office (they must have some sort of complaint section for bad business practices - at least, I know NY has something...). And don't let up on them!
I think you should also send them the bill for fixing your grandmother's floor lamp...The whole move SHOULD have been insured by them, after all...
brico