Thursday, June 05, 2008

Library Days

Libraries are underrated. It's true. I know how we all dread them as students and certainly as a professor I have my moments . . . but there is nothing like a public library.

As I am still in limbo on the furniture and won't get connected until everything arrives, I decided I needed to visit the library in my new home town.

Holy Cow! Libraries have CHANGED. Okay, so maybe the Library Center I went to yesterday was especially nice. It was clearly NEW, and as we're in suburbia it was exceptionally clean, there were a TON of computers and lo and behold their library programs have really evolved! I mean, I'm actually considering attending a bunch of the programs!

The Center has a coffeehouse in it - a particularly popular coffeehouse that began downtown. And another branch has a freakin' Panera Bread in it! And a third branch has a different coffeehouse. Nuts! I don't remeber being able to order a frozen coffee drink at MY library.

I also love that I can check out 50 books if I wanted to. I mean, that's silly that I would, but pretty cool. Plus, I can check out DVDs for FREE (too bad Blockbuster!) and CDs for FREE (hello iTunes!) and work in a surprisingly quiet environment for a public place. There was a brief episode yesterday when a man was being KICKED OUT of the library - oh the drama! - and chose some colorful words with which to exit.

I checked out three books to help me make some progress on my directing project next spring. Yeah, thrilling isn't it that I took out three books on Greek Tragedy? Still, I'm excited to have something productive to do.

So here I sit and enjoy my local library. If you haven't visited yours lately, it's time to reacquaint yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie -
You need to write all of this down sometime in a book! or we'll mak a movie out of it!
It's like "The Perils of Pauline."
Glad you're safe and have discovered the library in Tornado Alley (an area in which, if I can avoid it, will never live again!)
Brian