Monday, June 23, 2008

Fun Along the Way

In spite of a the trials and tribulations of my move (incompetent and destructive movers, a roach infested house, multiple tornadoes, and ticks), I have managed to have some fun along the way.

Zoe and I have been exploring the Ozark Greenways. We've managed to get to the South Creek trail regularly and, of course, the infamous Sac River Trail. I'm looking forward to getting to some others now that we're running again, especially the Galloway Creek Trail which runs by the nature conservation center.

A couple of weeks ago, I had dinner with some friends and then we went to the local Shakespeare Festival at Jordan Valley Park. We saw a production of Midsummer, directed by one of my new colleagues (let's call her Blondie 'cause she has the BEST hair). It was a lovely night and we had a good time. And last weekend I drove to St. Louis for their Shakespeare Festival and to catch up with the Fight Guy (he, of course, did the fights). It was a haul, and the parking was a pain in the ass, but ultimately worth it because I connected with the AD there, chatted with the Fight Guy, and saw a decent rendition of Richard III. Plus, it was a stunning evening.

And already my social life is much better than in the Wasteland. My first week in town, Blondie invited me to join her, her husband, and a friend of theirs from out of town for sushi (I'm blanking on the name, but will be sure to link it when I remember) and then the girls went to see the Sex and the City Movie. Last week, I met up with a Blondie and another colleague (we'll call her Ed) at the Mud Lounge in our funky little downtown. The bar reminds me of several DC bars due to its hardwood floors and exposed brick walls. We just ordered drinks (and their pours are generous!), but I hear the fondue is fab and I imagine I'll be back there regularly . . . or at least until the students return and take over the place. Still, one of my colleagues said that they don't really get there until late so maybe I can enjoy the place all year if I'm early enough. And on Saturday, I invited Blondie and her husband over for margaritas and snacks. We enjoyed two pitchers before we joined yet another colleague (we'll call him Movement Man) and his wife at the Galloway Station for more alcohol and snacks. Galloway Station has a great patio that reminds me of lots of places in Tucson. Those who know me know I adore outdoor seating!

So, here's to more fun along the way - I'm hoping I'll enjoy a year of it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're already having WAY more fun than you were in some other location I won't mention.

YAY!

Miss you - see you soon!