Wednesday, June 04, 2008

New Digs

Yup. I have new digs. Aren't they pretty?

So I made the move but OH MY it has been eventful. And why shouldn't it? It's MY life. :)

So I got the car but of course that took away some of my time to prep for my parents' arrival. I did manage to get through all my JUNK prior to their coming so that all that was in the house was, for the most part, going to be packed.

My parents were real troopers, I'll tell you. They were with me for 3.5 days and without them I would have been lost. Seriously, I would have NEVER been ready to make the move. They labored all day for each of their days until 5pm when I MADE them quit to join me for a glass of wine. I think that was a good move.

We managed to work very well together. Basically, we worked in three separate areas each day and by the time they left, I had all the last minute, pain in the ass stuff to prep or pack.

The movers arrived two hours EARLY - ACK! Fortunately, they realized they came to the wrong house and said they would return at the planned time. Whew.

So I hustled around to get the last of the packing done and they arrived right on time. Though I had crated Bea, I hadn't yet snagged Henry and we all had a moment of panic thinking he bolted out the door. Fortunately, he was just hiding and was located without much time wasted. I threw him in the attic with the rest of the stuff not going in the truck and the movers were off! I mean, WOW, they raced through my house and in two hours had my life out of the house and in the truck.

So I was left with cleaning and packing a car. UGH. I hate cleaning nearly as much as I hate packing! As the movers were clearing out my rooms, I managed to vacuum and steam clean the rugs so I could pack both machines on the truck. At least that was done and I closed those rooms off. I had cleaned the attic the night before (even though that's where I threw Henry, yes) so I felt good about that space. Now I had to tackle the basement (laundry room and bathroom included), kitchen (oven, fridge, floors, and cabinets) and living room (floors and fireplace). Kill me now was all I could think. I was exhausted but managed to get the basement done. That was it. OH - and I managed to spray the easy off in the oven.

Then I ate some dinner, watched a movie on my computer (I can't even recall what I picked up, but have a vague memory of really enjoying it) and collapsed on my dog's bed in the attic because I was too tired to get the air mattress set up.

Early Saturday morning I got started cleaning right away. My parents said to go easy and not worry about a spotless place. It was gross when I moved in, I would certainly be leaving it cleaner. But in spite of her words, my mother's actions are very different and after all I am her daughter.

So I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned stopping only for a cold pop-tart and some left over juice. When the cleaning was finally done, I could drop off the last of the recycling and focus on packing the car.

Now, my new wheels are GREAT, but still they are NEW and I had no idea of how to pack it. So it took some time to fit everything just right but I finally did it (minus the aforementioned mop, bucket, and cleaner) and was getting the hell out of Dodge! No wait. I had to stop for some lunch. I got it to go and was at last leaving the Wasteland! It was 2:20 pm. SIGH. Still, six hours later I would be in my new town, resting in my hotel room on a nice bed, looking forward to seeing my new house.

The first four hours of the drive were uneventful. The critters slept and though I was tired, I was in heaven to be moving forward. Then Zoe woke up and made my life hell. She pawed at me and tried to move forward and then finally launched herself forward towards the front (no room here, thank you!) and it took all of my concentration to stay on the road. Of course, she was standing IN the plants I had so carefully tended to and placed on the floor. UGH. I pushed her back, and she finally went back to her seat toppling plants as she went and clearly unhappy. A few minutes lady she launched forward again so I let her stay there until the next exit. We got out, she took care of her business, and I figured the cause of her stress being eliminated we could move on.

Oh no. This is Zoe after all.

We played this game for nearly another hour until I finally yelled with a voice I had forgotten I had (but my two friends who hid behind the fridge during Vodka I episode know the voice well) and she stayed put until we arrived in my new town.

I unpacked the critical stuff, fed the critters, ordered a pizza, and CRASHED. I was finally "home."

So next morning bright and early I throw Zoe in the new wheels, fill my travel mug, and go to meet Miss Tammy at my new house. YIPPEE! I found it no problem and the neighborhood is cute and not much different from my old neighborhood in the Wasteland. We maneuver around the previous tenants' garbage at the end of the driveway, I let Zoe in the fenced yard, and I wait. And wait. And wait.

Miss Tammy finally arrives and though she has her master key, she is late because she can't find the keys to the house. Here we go.

She lets me in and the house is actually really sweet. It's clearly a rental in that it hasn't been babied, but it has charm and potential. So I don't really care that it will take some time to find the keys.

Miss Tammy leaves me to unpack the car and just before I head back to the hotel to eat, shower, and get the cats, she arrives with my keys. I give her the lease and I am in my new home!

Now if only my furniture would arrive.

No comments: