Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Getting Back in the Swing of Things

Today, I went for run #2 with the new shoes. Getting back in the swing of things is always very difficult for me. My body protests, my mind protests, and I wonder why I continue to be a glutton for punishment. Experience tells me, however, that the pain of starting will change to the pain of getting better and stronger and eventually it will mostly disappear. That's why I begin again.

So Zoe and I went to explore the Galloway Trail. It's GREAT! I like it much better than the South Creek Trail because there is shade most of the trail (that we explored anyway), the mileage is marked along the route, and it's a little prettier, too. No surprise, it was also busier, but aside from having to keep Zoe on her leash, I prefer it busier. There is a camaraderie among trail users, especially runners, and I like feeling connected that way.

I had trouble finding the trail head in my car, so I eventually I just stopped at a pool that wasn't open yet and parked in their lot. From the lot I could see the trail. As it turns out, we were only a half-mile from the start of the trail so we just took off from there. It was pleasant winding our way along the creek. Now, today was harder than Monday because I was not only sore from Sunday's run, but also because I did the movement warm-up I do with my students for the first time since probably late April. Ouch.

Regardless, Zoe and I ran along stopping occasionally for Zoe to take a dip in the creek. We turned around at a really lovely park, which has bathrooms (hurrah!), and returned to the car. We followed the trail a little past where we were parked so I could figure out where I had gone wrong in finding the start and then hopped in the car and went to look for it. This time I located it without any trouble. So when we go for our run on Friday, we'll start at the proper start. It's nice to know we can park at other places on the route, too, in case we need a change of scenery.

We then returned home for breakfast and coffee.

I'm actually enjoying coffee this morning from a local coffeehouse called Kaldi's. My new home town has a number of quality coffeehouses; I discovered this one while still waiting on my furniture. But I finally broke down and bought a pound of the "natural high" coffee yesterday.

I ran a bunch of errands yesterday and made some really great discoveries along the way. I stopped at the Brown Derby International Wine Center for the first time. It's about a mile from my house and though there are lots of Brown Derby's in town, this is the BIG ONE. It has the most amazing selection of wines as well as any other beverage you could want. AND it has a cheese shop! I tried a combination of sage and blue that is to die for and vowed I would get some after my vacation. They also carry one of my favorite, but hard to find, crackers - American Vintage Wine Biscuits. Yummy! I could spend a bundle in this place, let me tell you!

I also stopped at Akin's, a natural food store in town and just down the road from Kaldi's. When you're in a town too small for a Whole Foods or Trader Joes, you have to look for your replacement. Well, this will work for me in most ways! It's very small, but packed full of great things and very helpful. I have recently had a severe outbreak of recurring hives (it seems to be seasonal, but who the hell knows what the cause is?) and after I see my acupuncturist in DC, I'll be heading to Akin's for my herbs.

So, yes, I'm settling in and finding the things that will help me call this place home for the year. It's nice to get back in the swing of things.

No comments: