Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Stick and Stones Take Two

Last night I called the police again.

Not 911 - I couldn't in good conscience take away police from matters of life and death. So I called 311 again when the sound of concrete hitting the house began around 7:30 or so.

I'm torn about my decision . . .

The good news is my faith in the 311 system has returned as the police arrived within 5 minutes of my call. They were very polite and efficient and seemed to understand that all I wanted was the rock chucking to end. They were going to find the parents of the children and speak to them. Apparently, if I can identify the child (hard to do as they are quick and our fence is very high) and any damage is done the parent is held accountable for that damage. Hopefully the moms and dads will reign in the delinquent pitcher.

What is making me unsure of my decision is seeing, in the pack of children being corralled by the police, two or so "babies" - children that couldn't have been more than 5 years old! They looked so scared and I felt terrible. I am quite sure it is one or two older boys causing all of the trouble and these poor babies are just guilty by association. I'm also worried that my actions may only escalate the problem! SIGH. I guess only time will tell.

I hate this push me-pull you feeling! I shouldn't feel guilty about wanting to sit in my own yard without getting pummelled by a hunk of cement. Yet the whole black/white, haves/have-nots, young/old crap weighs heavy on my heart.

How do you know if you've done the right thing?

No comments: