Sunday, August 14, 2005

LOVELY AND AMAZING LUAU


WHAT A GREAT LUAU!!! It was a big success and I have SO MANY people to thank for it.

First of all my wildly creative housemate who single-handedly transformed the pink house into a Hawaiian paradise. Not only did she decorate the place beautifully, but cooked some AMAZING (so I was told since I don't eat meat myself) Kalua Pig! So not only did our friends get lei'd, they also got some ass at the party - PIG's ass, but still quite a treat (thank you C for letting me steal your joke). She also made an great Lomi Salmon.

I also had dear friends come over and help in the final preparations because, as predicted, we were racing against the clock to get ready. Not surprising, they were the same three ladies joining me in Hawaii to cheer me on (and "recover" in the days following). Thank you, LADIES!

My housemate also had friends rise to the occasion and bake for us as well as deliver much needed ice, and fix a very foamy keg (okay, so rolling it down the ally was not our most intelligent moment).

But most of all, I need to thank the guests. We probably had somewhere in the vicinity of 40 people show up, partake, and donate to the cause and because of all of them I am now over $500 closer to meeting my fundraising. AMAZING! I am so grateful for all of their support. I know so many of my close friends (most of whom work in the arts) make so little money and it is incredibly touching to know they dug deep to find something to give. Before the party, I hadn't met many of my housemate's friends, yet even as virtual strangers to me they also donated generously. And finally my fellow Tegla Teammates, who ran those hot and horrible fourteen miles with me, who are also busy trying to fundraise, showed up and threw their money into the bucket as well. I am in awe of all of them!

And they gave so much more than their money! They took pictures (some of which I will post), cleaned up a dead mouse (a very unpleasant task), gave inspiring cards, shared inspiring thoughts, and above all made me laugh. I believe it is those acts of support that are most important.

So the party finally broke up about 1:30 AM and my housemate and I spent the next hour cleaning and clearing. She really pulled through for me as there is little worse for me than waking up to the mess the day after. Of course that meant it was a 21.5 hour day for me - on my feet, with little exception, the entire 21.5 hours. WHEW.

Now that I have walked Zoe in Rock Creek Park, put away the dishes, and watered all the plants I can rest and relax for a few hours before it is time to prep for my audition tomorrow.

I am in high spirits thanks to a lovely and amazing luau - and leftover Lomi Salmon!

No comments: