Monday, August 08, 2005

Bay State Update

I have been in Massachusetts for the past few days and tonight is my final night so I thought I'd share a few of the highlights of my trip and update you on my running.

The best part of my trip occured last evening, just about dusk. Now there are a lot of things I love about visiting my parents: gourmet food (my mom is an amazing cook as many of my friends will confirm), beautiful setting (the western edge of the Berkshires - stunning), and relaxing in their "well-appointed" home. Part of relaxing in the summer means sitting out in the screened in porch.

For some of you "screened in porch" conjurs images of astro-turf covered porches with makeshift screens set in and a giant bug-zapper INSIDE the room that is supposed to keep the bugs OUT. The furniture might be fold up lawn chairs or something more permanent with moldy cushions. Make no mistake, my parent's porch is no such thing. Their porch is a work of art (again, friends will confirm). It's beautiful - hardwood floors, rod-iron furniture with lovely cushions and pillows, a wood ceiling fan to keep the room air stirring on humid days, and a scenic backyard that blends quite seemlessly into the woods behind the house.

Well, we were on said porch enjoying a glass of fine wine and easy conversation when I leap from my reclined position on the couch and gasp at what I see just outside of this porch. A GIANT BLACK BEAR (I'm talkin' in the neighborhood of 400 - 500 pounds) idly strolls by the house - from the frontyard and apparently the street, to the backyard. It pauses long enough to take us in and then continues on its merry way along the backyards of our neighbors - causing dogs and grown men to bark like crazy. AMAZING. Apparently this bear has visited before - my mother enjoyed watching it make a Sunday morning pass in the frontyard, climb a neighbor's tree, and then continue up the street. Definitely the hightlight of the trip. I just thank the universe for making certain Zoe was INSIDE at this time as she normally sits on the back stoop unleashed for hours on end. One swipe from the bear (no doubt Zoe would ask for it under these conditions) and Zoe would be a goner!

That's about all the DRAMA I've enjoyed since arriving Thursday night. I've done my laundry (I felt very much like a college student dragging my laundry up here when I have a perfectly good washer and dryer at home) and viewed the latest complete photo album of my mother's extensive collection. We went hiking out at Mt. Tom and Bashbish Falls and have even enjoyed the "jewel" of Westfield, Stanly Park, a few times. We celebrated my mother's birthday, did some shopping in Lee and Northampton, and have had countless glasses of wine. Not a bad way to spend some down time all in all.

I ran a good five miles on Friday morning with Zoe - she was thrilled to be in the aforementioned park swimming and my only complaint would be the biting flies. I ran six on Sunday, my father biking just ahead of me to push me, and it felt quite good - even with the big hills. If only I could move the running routes I have here down to DC!

Tomorrow I head home. I don't feel quite ready yet, actually. Though I'm ready to see my friends and have some fun at the LUAU, I'm sad to leave the peace and quiet so soon.

The good news is I am back for Christmas . . . maybe just for a short time but I can't complain. Who knows, maybe the black bear will come back for a visit then too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That would've scared the bejeezus out of me! I am SOOOO glad Zoe was inside. We miss you down here and can't wait for the luau!!!