Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Blonde is Passe


Very soon I am off to my new colorist - and returning to my natural hair color: red.

I am nervous. I have been blonde for over five years. But I have a history of pictures of me as a redhead and I am eager to return to my roots (pun intended)! Okay, well, not my CURRENT roots 'cause this is where my age begins to show, but to my once fabulous fiery roots.

Growing up a redhead wasn't easy. I got called carrot top and freckles and all that. My red hair wasn't appreciated by boys until I hit college. Then I suddenly discovered the reputation red heads have as grown-ups. I wouldn't say I was popular - it takes a special guy to really appreciate a redhead - but I was more popular than I ever had been.

Through college and just out my red hair was truly my crowning glory. It was long, thick, and curly. It separated me from most women both professionally and personally. But as I got older my hair color and texture changed and I decided to go blonde to make it easier on myself and my bank account (matching red hair is very difficult and expensive).

Well, the past year or so I've been debating trying red again. I have finally found the courage - with the help of many friends - and in less than an hour I leave, oddly enough, to go forward into my past and become part of that 4% of the world's population.

There is a new book out about redheads and I cannot wait to read it - and find out on my own if Marion Roach's observations ring true for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your new hair looks absolutely fabulous, dahling!!!!