Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Serenity NOW!

I'm sure many of you remember the old Seinfeld quote. How many times have you shouted "serenity now" and meant it? I have been shouting it for about a week now.

I have been shouting it due to visitors to the pink house. I become my mother (more so than I already have become) when expecting visitors and I can really feel my blood pressure rise! For some reason, when expecting new visitors to the house, I need to have it perfect: spotless, uncluttered, organized, and pretty. My housemate doesn't exactly share my views. So I get neurotic and crazy.

One of my bosses was the first to visit last week. Just for an evening, but he keeps a well-appointed home and the pressure was on. I was so happy - and relieved - that he approved of the pink house.

My housemate's boyfriend was next - for three days. Then my housemate's mother - for a week (she's still here). They are very pleasant people, yet virtually strangers to me so it is stressful playing "hostess" to them. The thing is, my housemate has made it clear I don't need to be "hostess". So I have no role yet visitors in my home. I can't seem to make that work for myself and my stress level has shot through the roof. On top of that, I'm expecting my parents to visit the house for the first time on Saturday - before my housemate's mother leaves. So this weekend I needed an escape - I needed "serenity now!"

I have been running regularly and on Sunday escaped to the C & O Canal with Zoe. We ran nearly six miles - and Zoe once again set a mean pace on the return trip. She is a different dog at the canal! It was a beautiful start to a beautiful day. Later, Zoe joined a friend of mine and me on a trip to Serenity Farm in Benedict, Maryland.

Serenity Farm is one of my favorite places (Zoe's too). It truly lives up to its name. It is owned and operated by the father of a dear friend and I used to be a regular visitor there. I have spent holidays and weekends and random days off wandering the dirt path to the Patuxeunt River while Zoe chased farm animals, ran in and out of the crops, and took a long swim. When I go there magically the troubles racing through my mind slow or disappear. It was sunny and warm on Sunday and with the exception of Zoe trying (and nearly succeeding) to catch a baby goat in her mouth, uneventful and typically peaceful. I relax just thinking about it.

I also enjoyed some "serenity now" yesterday in a number of ways. First, I returned to Hot Yoga so it looks as if I am hooked. I have to admit, it's one hell of a workout. The friend who introduced me to it joined me again and I thought at the end of the workout she was in need of a salt pill! Aside from 15+ mile runs in the heat and humidity of August, I have never sweat so much! It's fabulous, and a solid hour and a half workout. As you might imagine, it rids the body of lots of toxins - physical, mental, and emotional.

Zoe and I also went to a cookout. Pretty standard activity for Memorial Day. And of course it rained. Also pretty standard for Memorial Day. Yet my friends and I had a blast - and ate SO WELL. I believe food with friends is my favorite way to relax. We laughed a lot, drank plenty of red wine (and our naughty host poured me TWO tequila shots), and ate and ate. The best was crashing at a friend's house. Zoe and I were so wiped out we hardly moved all night - and we were cozy on a small pull-out! It was a perfect getaway from a home with visitors . . . just a quiet place where nothing needed to be taken care of and I could rest and relax. I truly enjoyed some "serenity now."

So today I returned to the pink house. I feel much better about the visitor and expected visitors. Of course I'm still finding escapes - reasons not to be home. But when I am there, I think I will be able to handle the stress a little better.

And come Sunday when all visitors have left, I can find "serenity now" where I usually find it - at the pink house.

No comments: