Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Commercial Free Radio

This is my favorite online radio station - and it's commercial free!

DC has the WORST radio stations which is surprising considering it's size and "sophistication" - not to mention a ton of young people at the area colleges and working on the Hill. The radio stations here have shallow play lists and are clearly a buyout by Disney or another version of "THE MAN".

I miss the radio stations I listened to in New England (WRNX, WBOS, etc.) and tried - successfully for a short while - to listen to them online. Fortunately, I have found mvyradio - no surprise it's also from New England - Martha's Vineyard to be exact (you can't get much more New England than that). It's amazing how music can make your work day more bearable. My co-workers and I are really happy to have this to help the time go by pleasantly.

I remember getting my first clock radio and how GREAT that was. My radio was on whenever I was in my room. I knew the lyrics to all of the popular songs and sang with abandon to the likes of the BeeGees and Olivia Newton-John. Then my brother took me aside and - wisely - schooled me on the greats of rock and roll: the Beatles, the Who, etc. Though he probably doesn't know it, he opened the door for my discovery of all kinds of music. World music. Which is why radio stations with a single theme or shallow playlists make me crazy. Ideally, I'd have an ipod and a ton of money to download an incredibly eclectic combination of music. For now, I'm happy to have found this. And it's commercial free!

I've tried running with music. I can't do it. Isn't that odd? The problem being I always want to run to the rhythm established by the song - not always good when trying to develop a dependable pace.

I'm sure the motivating factor of music would help me on long runs MENTALLY. I think that's why I'm a more successful runner when I have people to join me. I'm very lucky to have some consistent running partners (besides Zoe). One running partner in particular has gotten me through EVERY SINGLE MARATHON I've run. He's one of my heroes and I will write about him down the road

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DON'T run while listening to music- esp. headphones! For anyone else reading this- please remember that when out exercising, there are bad guys. And anytime you're not paying full attention to your surroundings you can be a target. Make yourself a BAD target- pay attention to everyone and everything around you and look people you pass in the eye- proven tactics to stay safe. When you can't hear a bad guy coming up behind you because you're listening to The Communards... Random safety message from random pal Becky.