Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Kenya or bust!

Oh to be Kalenjin!

Instead, I have a long torso, wider hips, and calves that are far from non-existent. I also live in a place that definitely gets colder than 50 and hotter than 80 degrees. DC also gets humid, rainy, smoggy, and is certainly not at 8,000 feet! SIGH. So I guess I won't be traveling to Kenya to train with the elite runners. At least they can inspire me.

I'm particularly fond of what they do in their down time - practically nothing. With a schedule like that I might not be half bad! However, I slave away at three jobs to keep the roof over my head and running shoes on my feet. And of course I still get help - lots of it.

Today I went on my first "maintenance" run. It was sunny and chilly - perfect running weather. My goal was simple - 30 minutes without wanting to cry or crawl back into bed. I'm happy to say I met my goal. Zoe joined me as she has so many times during my training.

I think she wants to retire.

Seriously. I think Zoe is weary of being my running partner. Either that or she's picky about WHERE she runs. Perhaps if we were still near Rock Creek Park so she could be off leash, chase wildlife, and swim she would join me with more enthusiasm. It used to be she would pull me all the way to the park - really, she set quite a pace! Now, she pulls when she knows we're half-way done and there is food, water, and a bed waiting for her at home.

Who can blame her?

However, it makes me sad. She has gotten me out of bed to train for five marathons and it seems strange to run without her. I will try a few more times . . . and if she still runs begrudgingly, I will have to allow her retirement.

Any Kenyans or enthusiastic dogs out there looking for a running partner?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

kenyan here..but No runner! sounds like an oxymoron but really , the article debunks that myth rather well....NOT ALL KENYANS RUN..I am living proof! I do swim though..so there u go for debunking stereotypes hehe..

You may have luck finding a kenyan who runs on our daily blog roundup here

labcabbie said...

I never intended to perpetuate a stereotype - my apologies! I understand there are remarkable, as well as average, atheletes from every country. Thanks so much for your daily blog roundup info!