Thursday, May 05, 2005

Cinco de Mayo

MMMMMMMmmmmmargarita.

Do we really need an excuse to drink Margaritas? I don't think so.

And this is when I realize that my love of libations will need to be tempered in the coming months. In fact, I felt it this morning. The post wine whine. My body really complained this morning about getting out of bed to run. I finally got it to shut up long enough to put on my running shoes and head out the door. It did a little more complaining when we started to run, but was finally silenced into submission by sheer will - and another perfect running morning. Even Zoe survived and was slightly more enthusiastic this time around.

The funny thing is, I only had a glass and half of wine! What's that about? I'm starting to believe what my parents always said about getting older . . . and that scares the hell out of me. I honestly don't consider myself to be old. I don't ACT old (no doubt the comments will come flooding in regarding that statement): I like hip clothes (but can't afford them) and my taste in men hasn't exactly aged with me (TMI?). So my body betraying me in this small way seems to be incongruant with the way I live, think, and act. Grrr. This is the WORST part of training for a marathon.

Sacrifices have to be made. I'm not so good on sacrifice. In fact, I prefer the opposite! Yes, I'm a CONSUMER - of all the things I love. Which boils down to all the things potentially bad for me: wine, cheese, bread, dark chocolate, margaritas, more cheese, and more bread! Of course I also consume things not so bad for me - coffee, good converstaion, good (and sometimes bad) theatre, nature, etc. Why must so much of what we love be not so good for us?

So I now must watch my consumption of all those bad things (except maybe for the bread - carbs are good for runners). That means dedicating one weekend night to being "good" which means planning in advance - and my mother and father would be the first to tell you I've never been so good at planning! Even simple things like planning what I'm going to wear the next day have eluded me. I will need my friends' help on this one.

The good news is tomorrow I get to "rest" from running. Which means tonight is carefree. My timing is perfect.

Cinco de Mayo - prickly pear margaritas anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have my margarita without salt, please! And Sarah, this is YOUR blog - we expect TMI! (it's part of why we love you...)

As for all that growing older nonsense.....ppbthhhthhbbbbtthhhh