Monday, May 16, 2005

And Now Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Program

Monday. Back at the Folger and things return to "normal."

Last night was press night for Big Death and Little Death. As most of you have heard or assumed by now, I have not gone on since the IDR. Nor do I anticipate I will go on. I am contracted through the run "just in case," but figure I will remain in the wings. I now will only be at the theatre once a week to rehearse and watch the show. I'm sad I won't be there daily - it is a great group of people and I had such a fun time being a part of the production - even in a small way! I am so looking forward to starting Merry Wives - just three weeks away.

For now, we return to our regularly schedueld program: the Folger, NIH, and TRAINING!

Tonight I go to hot yoga for the first time . . . I'll get back to you on THAT experience. And tomorrow, come hell or high water (dogs or no dogs), I need to go for a maintenance run. Enough excuses. No more excuses!

Next task . . . running shoes. I need new running shoes. Of course that means kissing goodbye a chunk of change, but when you compare it to a gym membership or the like, running is a very cheap way to stay fit. I guess that purchase goes on the weekend "to do" list along with the aforementioned cleaning, laundry, groceries, etc.

I haven't been grocery shopping in weeks! Not so good. I must get in a good food habit - good food is good fuel for training. When I open my refrigerator now, this is what I see: orange juice (it's a start), tortillas (but no cheese - what's the damn point?), spinach (which when FRESH is good, but in it's current condition might be dangerous), and condiments (can you make a meal of condiments?). Oh yeah, and a few beers. Not exactly quality training food. Time to get disciplined about my food!

Discipline doesn't come naturally to me. It's odd, considering the rest of my family appears to be very disciplined. Is it nature or nurture that makes us the way we are? One would argue nature since I was nurtured in a very organized, orderly environment. On the other hand, one might argue I fought against how I was raised - another middle class rebel without a cause. Regardless, chaos reigns in much of my life.

So running seems an odd choice, doesn't it? It's linear. It requires self-restraint in more than one area of your life. And yet I run happy (okay, MOSTLY happy). It's time to think without realizing you're thinking - does that make sense? It's easy - not in the sense that it's easy on your body - but in the sense that I just roll out of bed, put on my shoes and shorts, and walk out the door easy. It's the cross-training that gets complicated! That's why it helps to have a friends who join me. I'm good for the yoga - anybody out there want to start swimming?

Well . . . that's about all there is to tell at this time . . . at least related to running the marathon. Please prepare yourself for future entries that have nothing to do with my training - Sarah's chaos theory will eventually take over and I'll babble endlessly on any number of topics. It's up to you and your comments to keep me on task!

No comments: