Saturday, May 21, 2005

Black Coffee

Mmmmm . . . I love a good cup of Joe. I love the smell, the taste, and let's face it - the caffeine sure helps get me started in the morning. Every morning.

I managed to give it up a few times - once for as long as six months. I started drinking green tea, which I know is better for me, but when I smelled the coffee brewing at the beach my first morning of vacation I couldn't resist.

Did I mention I have absolutely no will power?

My "evil" devil-dip-bearing co-worker brews coffee throughout the day. It's a good thing we don't work EVERY shift together or you'd be peeling me off the ceiling. She's so evil she brought in a one pound dark chocolate bar and a spray can of whipped cream yesterday. BAD BAD BAD! Of course after eating more of the huge bag of Lays chips (and the remnants of the dip) I had to partake of the chocolate and whipped cream.

Remember, I have absolutely no will power.

This morning she brought in homemade blueberry bread. Good heavens! How am I supposed to resist this?

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO WILL POWER!

I need help. I need help desperately.

Actually, what I need is to go for a run. Not only do I run for social reasons, but also because I can then eat whatever the hell I want! Guilt-free pleasure. If I want ice cream, I get ice cream. If I want mozzarella cheese sticks, I get a double order. If I want nachos, I get to eat an entire order on my own - with extra cheese, guacamole, and sour cream.

So much for my resolve to eat healthy!

The good news is I have found, I hope, a new running partner. A friend and co-worker, who is currently working out of state but returns next month, wants to start running with me. I'm so excited! She just moved near me and if I can convince her to run in the mornings then I'm set. One co-worker helps put the pounds on, one helps take them off. Yin Yang.

Other good news: my housemate has returned and I can now run with just one not-so-enthusiastic canine. So tomorrow morning I begin (again) to train more seriously. I think Zoe and I will visit the canal for inspiration.

And for breakfast I can enjoy an egg and cheese sandwich guilt-free. And a big mug of black coffee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm.....nachos....that gives me an idea for tomorrow's shift!

~the evil co-worker

Anonymous said...

I still say coffee is bitter.