Monday, July 07, 2008

Beach Bumming


Yes, I've been missing for a few days.

This past week I spent with my family on our annual vacation to Hampton Beach, NH.

The family has been going there ever since my mother was a little girl. It's a beautiful spot that holds too many memories to count. It was a banner year this year as everybody made it for the full week.

Typically there are highlights and low lights - any family vacation would have its share of both. So here are mine.

Low lights: I wasn't feeling great most of the week. Ugh. Some kind of stomach thing. And it pretty much trumps all other potential low lights. But we had a night out to eat that ranks up there in the low lights - at Top of the Harbor restaurant. Messed up orders, only okay food, and way too expensive for what you got. NOT A GOOD CHOICE. That's one family of 13 that will never return.

Highlights: We had 5 amazing beach days. It's tricky in New England. We've spent entire weeks in jeans and sweatshirts before so having 5 warm and sunny days is a big deal. The "next generation" swam EVERY day - even the colder days. Nutty. My sister joined them for several swims even, but she has a wet suit. You won't get me NEAR that water without one and I would have to be REALLY hot to go in with one. You see, on a good day the water temperature is 62 degrees. Like I said, nutty.

We had a great meal at Michael's Harborside in Newburyport. Then again, we have a great meal there EVERY year.

The girls and boys split up (I joined the boys, however) and went to see Wall-E and Kit Kittridge (sp?) to get some relief from the sea and sun.

My brother, nephew, and managed to get in three runs. I wouldn't say they were great (remember, I wasn't feeling 100%), but we got them in.

We let off our own fireworks on the beach one night. If it weren't for the damn sand fleas biting us, it would have been a perfect evening activity. We had fun anyway.

The Acupuncturist and ER Doc drove down from Portland and spent one night with us. It was great catching up and chilling out with them. I'm hoping they'll return next year for a longer stay.

My mother's blueberry buckle. 'nuff said.

We enjoyed our annual 4th of July barbecue that also happens to be my sister's birthday. We made homemade ice cream (YUM) and my brother-in-law grilled up a storm of burgers, dogs, chicken, and a sole piece of salmon for me. Oh, and some asparagus. The kids decorated cup cakes in which we put candles to sing "happy birthday" and my sis opened her presents. Then it was fireworks time. After the previous sand flea issues, I opted to watch them from our deck. But the kids wanted to be closer to the action so the big boys rode their bikes up to the main beach and the rest hoofed it to the little beach down the street from the house. It was a good show from any vantage point.

After cleaning the house and packing up the cars, we all met at Kimball Farm for lunch and ice cream. This is another place we've been going to for many years. Their "kiddie" sizes are like eating an entire PINT of ice cream. I had a lobster roll for lunch (AWESOME) and was so full I just sampled others' ice cream. Good stuff!

All in all, a GREAT trip. Fun, sun, good eats, and great company. Oh, and I have a tan now, too. Wish I could beach bum a little longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

62 degree water!?
Ah...that would be heaven!
And no cow cookies?
Disgraceful!
Oh well...funny, our cats like the a/c on...especially Harald and Simon (Simon will actaully sit in the freezer and just purr his fuzzy white butt off!).
Brian