Thursday, July 17, 2008

Everything's Up to Date in Kansas City

So less about 12 hours after my return from DC, I hopped in my car and drove to Kansas City.

I grew up in this city and I hadn't been back in 9 years. I went to catch up with old friends, one who traveled from Dallas and wasn't in town for long.

As I drove over the state line, I crossed into Martin City. In my memory, Martin City is not much more than a crossroads, really - a one-horse town. What made this tiny spot on the map special was its number of quality restaurants where people would travel down from the "Big City" to enjoy a meal. The two I remember most are Jess and Jim's Steakhouse and the Smoke Stack (now known as Jack Stack - best BBQ hands down).

As I entered the town, I thought I got lost and ended up in Oz. I didn't even recognize the place! What used to be a little old cow town was now full of all the usual suspects: Target, Wal-mart, McDonalds, etc. I had no idea where the city was hiding its former dusty charm. It made me a little sad, but I suppose it prepared me for what I was about to encounter.

I continued on according to my mapquest directions to catch up with my friends at a place called Spin in Overland Park. Overland Park is actually my childhood home and when we moved into our neighborhood we were as far south as you could get - at about 103rd Street - and we were surrounded by farmland.

Granted, it grew over the years. But I couldn't believe how much it had grown when I drove in on 135th and it was all developed or the bulldozers and builders were busy adding to it. In that area of the country the roads are laid out in a grid, and I have a pretty good sense of direction, but I was all turned around! I had no idea where I was or what direction I was headed. It's strange to return to your home and be lost.

Well, I arrived on time thanks to mapquest and enjoyed a fabulous meal at this hot new pizza joint. Great food and fabulous prices. And it was fun to catch up with my old high school buddies in their element.

When lunch ended, I spent the afternoon with a friend at her very well-appointed home. Seriously, I live a completely different life than my dear old friends - every single one of them. I can't get over their homes! This particular friend has had most of the house redone over the past several years and the next project is an outdoor kitchen. I swear her house could be in a magazine. She showed me her walk-in closet and it has a little chandelier and a pouf to sit or stand on! She confessed she sometimes drinks wine and eats cheese in her closet. Yeah, it's that big. AND it's currently only holding her spring-summer wardrobe. Excuse me? My closet doesn't fit a grown-up person and it holds ALL of my seasons! Who am I kidding? I don't even have seasons! I teased her and said that next time she's getting ready to go to Goodwill that she should think of me. Well, no sooner had the words escaped my mouth than she was pulling stuff out and making me try it on - and then GIVING it to me! I have to say, I scored. I think I'm going to like shopping in her closet. Of course, it's win-win because when a hanger is empty, she gets to fill it with something NEW.

After that, we went to Trezo Vino at Park Place. It's a fun wine bar very near her home and we enjoyed a drink (I had Sangria, she had Chardonnay) before another friend picked us up to head out to Mission Hills to gather yet another friend. Growing up, Mission Hills was THE NEIGHBORHOOD in Kansas (it may or may not still be) and one of my friends actually lives there. I remember asking my parents to drive me through that neighborhood when we were nearby (not often) so I could admire the palatial homes. I still can't believe I know somebody who lives there! We drank some more wine, visited with her kids, and the took off for the Country Club Plaza.

The Plaza is one of the area's best features. It is modeled after Seville, Spain and offers high end shopping, dining, and entertainment. It was the first shopping "mall" of its kind and it really beautiful. Kansas City is known as the city of fountains and the Plaza has some of the loveliest.

Anyway, we went to Houston's for dinner there and had a great time.

The next morning I caught up with my oldest friends at one of their homes for breakfast. I got to see all of their children (after 9 years they have changed and some I had never seen!) and one friend's father. Aside for the surreal element of children being there, it was like I had never left.

On my way home, I stopped at Whole Foods as it is the closest one over 150 miles away. I figured why not? I stocked up on some really good produce before I hit the road.

I hope to return to my childhood home soon. After all, everything's up to date there!

No comments: