Saturday, July 19, 2008

Cleansing Crisis

I am in day three of a detox regimen.

I decided to detox because earlier this summer I had a really bad case of hives and had no clue what was causing it. As the skin is the last frontier for toxins, I figured the best that could happen would be the detox would clear my skin and the worst would be I would feel much better. Kind of a win-win scenario.

So when in DC, I visited my acupuncturist and asked for a detox plan. She gave me a very sound one (no starvation or apple diets for me!) and also prescribed some herbs for me. Apparently, I am blood deficient, which might be a good reason for my ongoing fatigue. But that's another story . . . or is it? I guess we'll see.

Anyway, the basic plan is fruit and grains in the morning (no oats!), steamed veggies in the afternoon, and more steamed veggies in the evening. The plan says you can add protein with dinner, if you are VERY hungry, but my acupuncturist insisted on it with my blood deficiency. Only water and herbal tea to drink. No caffeine, no sugar, no alcohol, no wheat, no dairy - basically nothing FUN.

So, thus my trip to Whole Foods in KC. I got some veggies I love and some I either never eat or never prepare. It was a good stock: broccoli, new potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, and kale. I also picked up some Salmon for my protein and some quinoa for my grain.

The plan warns you to start the program when you can be home to rest. My acupuncturist repeated it so I figured the warning must have some merit but for the life of me I wasn't sure exactly what. I was told to expect headaches and I've experienced some caffeine withdrawal before, so I was prepared for that. I just couldn't figure out why all this NAP talk and stuff.

I found out before 3pm my first day.

I didn't just get a headache. I got a blinding, raging, kill me now headache. I have never experienced anything like it before. JUST AWFUL. My heart aches for people with migraines because if I had to deal with this pain on a regular basis I WOULD kill myself.

What I learned online was the headaches (and other side effects) are called a cleansing or healing crisis. Ultimately it's a GOOD thing, but tell that to me when I'm chewing on my sheets. The plan says no medications outside your prescribed medicine and at about 2am I really wished for a prescription of codeine. Or Valium. Or a bullet for my head! I am not kidding. In sheer desperation and lack of sleep, I finally broke down and took an aspirin. I am weak. I admit it. And in no more than 15 minutes I was feeling relief.

Hmm. I got sidetracked. Back to the cleansing crisis. Here is one definition I found online:

"The Healing Crisis, or Die-Off, occurs when the body is detoxifying -releasing stored toxins - too rapidly for the paths of elimination to manage, and toxins are therefore floating around the bloodstream, poisoning you all over again."

Lovely, huh?

Well, the headache came back around noon yesterday but I refused to give in and medicate again. Instead, I drank a ton of water (I was anyway, but I drank a lot more) and took a nap. A LONG nap. Like a 4 HOUR nap! I don't do things like this! Clearly my body was dealing with a lot of toxins. The good news is, the water and nap plan worked. Now, whenever I feel a headache coming on, I just drink a bunch of water. Last night, I slept all night (except to pee, which I have to do a LOT) and slept well.

Today, I am virtually headache free. And I have more energy than the first two days. So I am hoping I am over the worst of it.

The plan says to exercise daily and bathe often. Always good advice. Today I felt up to trying a run but think I may have pushed it. Then again, that could be my blood deficiency rearing its ugly head. It's so weird. I've run 6 marathons. I just ran a half-marathon in April. And now I can hardly manage 2 miles without feeling impossibly tired. I tried for 4 this morning and think I got in 3 . . . but when I would stop to let Zoe swim, I got frighteningly light-headed and had to walk. I eventually gave up completely and finished walking. SIGH. I wish my herbs would get here!

The bathing has been good though. I even bought a body brush as they recommend brushing your body to aid the detox before you bathe.

I admit, I am already weary of the routine. I long for pizza and ice cream and cheese and pasta! I have noticed, for the first time, just how many FOOD ads there are on TV. UGH! Though I am eating the kale, I don't love it. And the beets are a pain in the butt to peel. Seriously, the pop out of my hand and go flying all over the kitchen and leave little purple marks along their way. Annoying. And though I'm happy for the fish, I prefer it grilled over steamed any day. Preferably with a yummy marinade. And frankly, it's tough eating the same thing twice a day, day in and day out.

As I am running low on veggies, I went to the store today. I picked up broccolini for the first time. And spoiled myself with blackberries - yummy! I debated the Rainier cherries, but man they're expensive. Maybe when I FINISH the detox I'll get some. And instead of fish I'm trying Adzuki beans . . . they're supposed to be very good for detox and taste like red beans. I love them in Japanese ice cream so I'm game.

All in all I think the detox will be worth it. I can already feel a difference in my skin! Tomorrow is the half-way point and I'm eager to see how I feel on Wednesday. I'll keep you posted. And let's hope there are no more cleansing crises. I'll drink (water) to that!

No comments: