Saturday, July 26, 2008

Now What Do I Do???

Okay, so things are going mostly okay incorporating Stella into our home. She and Zoe had an altercation - well, actually, Zoe attacked Stella - over food our first full day, but we have corrected that problem.

And Stella has shown signs of separation anxiety, but I think we're getting over that hurdle, too. I purchased some Rescue Remedy and have gated her in my room instead of the laundry room when I leave. At least she has a dog bed there and my bed. I think she's more comfortable and secure there.

So, of course I am attached and thinking she's mine when I get an e-mail from my posting on craigslist. It's so vague though and asks for a photo (for some reason I couldn't get craigslist to post the photo - maybe 'cause its properties give away personal info? I don't know.) and considering she's an American Staffordshire Terrier - often confused for a Pit Bull (Brian, you were close!) - that I worry about dog fighting rings. She's already had a litter at her tender age and I don't want her to be a breeding dog for something like that!

However, she is sweet and well-socialized so maybe a family is looking for her. But I haven't seen anything posted on craigslist or ANYWHERE . . . so I'm suspicious about this response. I'm thinking about asking for a photo for the missing dog and details about the dog . . . is that a good way to progress? I just don't know what to do! I took the listing down out of fear but want to do the right thing.

And to make matters even more interesting . . . the stray whisperer struck AGAIN this morning!!!!

Yup, I found this little guy on my walk with Zoe and Stella along the South Creek Trail.


You've got to be kidding!!!

He was dragging a tether attached to his collar (again, no tag!) and was a MESS. He was extremely dirty and covered in burrs. UGH.

At first he wouldn't come near us, but finally his curiosity about the two females got the best of him (typical male - lol) and he approached the girls. He wouldn't come near me, but fortunately, I could step on the tether and secure him. He tried to run - he was very nervous - but he finally calmed down and I was able to walk him home.

Once home, I put him in the tub, bathed him, and spent quite some time cutting the burrs out of his hair. Sadly, the task is daunting and I haven't finished, but each time I pet him I am able to remove some. I called a couple groomers, but they cost a fortune!

Since he had a tether on, I really think he just got loose. So somebody HAS to be looking for him, right??? The crazy thing is, he has clearly been loose for some time. In fact, there is a craigslist posting that describes a small dog like him with attached to a tether way back in early July.

SIGH. I am certainly happy to help out, but I can't possibly care for THREE dogs and two cats, can I??? Of course, the shelters are closed and so he's here until Monday at least. Fortunately, he and Stella get along well, but Zoe . . . she is not happy about yet another dog. Frankly, I don't blame her.

Now what do I do????

2 comments:

lifestudent said...

Ok, about "Stella" - definitely do not send a pic. There are bad people out there shopping for dogs to use in dogfighting, or to sell, etc. Any good owner has pics of their dog and/or can identify it by characteristics and name.

With stray #2 (crazy!) its totally possible an old post is for the right dog. Dogs show up sometimes after months or years of being strays. If not, you have full house on your hands! Good for you for brining all of them in, because the outside world is not often too gentle on a stray :) Regardless of the ultimate outcome, they are in good hands now!

Anonymous said...

I agree with lifestudent...Ask for details from the person asking about Stella...If you send a pic, then they can claim, "Oh yeah, she's mine, etc." Get details...As for the new boy, people will post on CL, then never take them down...it's possible it's the same dog, so I would write and see if the email goes through or bounces back and post one from you regarding him...
Sometimes the photos are too large for CL, but that's ususally in response.
As far as the whole grop you now have, you CAN take care of them all, but it will be tough...and hard for Zoe to adjust in some ways...but it's a choice and a big one...And the world is NOT kind to strays, as a general rule...
Also, as far as Stella goes...Staffordshires and Pits are sometimes confused...I was just going buy her coloring and her lil' pink nose!
Brian