Sunday, July 27, 2008

Flea Baths for All

This morning, after an entertaining but tricky walk with all three dogs, I discovered fleas on Stella.

Oh joy, oh rapture.

I'm not surprised really, but had checked her before and hadn't noticed any. I guess I hadn't checked her carefully.

So it was flea bath time for all the dogs (except Zoe who is on Frontline). The good news is, after rescuing Bea, my vet said you can just use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid to kill the fleas. Imagine! No expensive dips or shampoos. Just Dawn . . . and maybe more than one bath.

Now, I know there are a LOT of opinions about if it's good for Fido or not, but I bathed Bea when she was only 2 weeks old TWICE a day in it for about a week (she was horribly infected) and she did GREAT on it. Stella hasn't scratched since and I'm pretty sure the little guy's scratching is from the damn burrs that I still haven't gotten off him.

I also washed all the bedding and couch upholstery (still washing actually) and sprayed all bedding, carpets, blankets, etc. with some Mycodex which I had left-over from my last flea battle.

Ah, the joys of owning pets.

It has been on my mind since finding the dogs that I will have to eventually get them to the vet. And my other critters need their annual checkup. OUCH - 5 animals going to the vet??? I can't imagine what THAT will cost me. Until that time, I'm getting a couple of flea collars for the strays.

Still, there was one high note in the day. After washing Stella and - since I need to call him something while he's here - Buster, they started racing around the house playing. SO CUTE! I then let them outside and they continued their hard play out there for quite some time. I love that they like each other. Their play even roused Zoe from her nap, but it wasn't enough to entice her to join them. It's very funny to watch because there is quite a size difference, but Buster won't let the big girl boss him around. He keeps up beautifully - and with a real sense of humor.

So that's the latest on my menagerie.

I think I have to bathe the cats, too, just to be sure. Won't THAT be fun?

No comments: