Saturday, January 10, 2009

Yes, It Was Indeed One of Those Days

Yesterday didn't get any better. In fact, it got worse. How is that possible?

After cleaning up the dog vomit, I finally made it to campus where I continued to work on my syllabi. I plowed through for about 5 hours non-stop. Well, that's not entirely true. I was interrupted by a colleague, our Lighting Guy, and he sat right down and said, "So what's the deal with your Facebook status?" I had listed that I was sending off some job apps the day before and apparently he noticed. I guess he's just as in the dark about my search as I am. So I explained to him what was going on and he generously offered to help me out if he could. That was the BEST part of my day.

As I was putting the finishing touches on ONE of my two syllabi that need to get done, my Dept. Head stops in with information on an independent film being cast. Now, I submitted to it (quite late - the deadline issue extends beyond academic jobs), and read they were casting extras on Saturday. Apparently I was wrong. They were casting THAT day, Friday. So he gave me the casting agency info (they're out of KC) and said I should stop by. WHAT? I haven't showered, they're session is almost over, and I have no clue what the project is about.

But being the glutton for punishment that I am, I couldn't shake off the idea, so I got my shit together and went to the call.

BIG MISTAKE.

First of all, it was an appointments only call. So I was crashing the party. The young assistant was very sweet and asked the folks INSIDE if I could read. They accommodated me with a role and I spent the next hour prepping it. When it was finally my turn to read, I was THIRD to LAST of the day, uninvited, and the casting team was exhausted. When I was invited into the room, they didn't even introduce themselves, hooked a mic up to me, and I was slating and reading. I read - ONCE - and was told I could leave. I thanked them for seeing me, but as I left I wondered why I had even bothered.

By this time it was nearly 6pm and I needed to get home to the critters and feed myself (I forgot to eat lunch so I was starving). Though I still had a ton of work to do, I was feeling so miserable, I poured myself a glass of wine and fed the animals.

Lucky me - it was the CAT'S turn to vomit.

Yup, moments after Beatrice finished up her dinner she vomited. She travels too, so I got to clean up the entire laundry room and throw a bunch of rugs, towels, and blankets in the washing machine. Such fun.

That's when I gave the day up. I couldn't face doing anything else except check some e-mail and watch some bad TV.

Today has started better, but I'm actually debating cancelling tomorrow's callback in St. Louis. I have loads of good reasons: I still have a syllabus to prep, I haven't found an accompanist and I won't be able to learn the song before tomorrow, I've hardly reviewed my sides (though I did the show three years ago, I would be reading for a different role), and I still haven't gotten to the grocery store. If I go, that means I will be gone for probably around 12 hours or more if you include the travel time, a little cushion time, and the two callback times. So the entire day will be devoted to a potentially crappy audition. And after yesterday's crappy audition, I'm not feeling "in my art" so to speak and I just can't handle another let down.

Obviously, the not being PREPARED for tomorrow is my biggest concern. Isn't it better to have NO audition, than an unprepared, BAD one???

So I'm freaking out. And I'm looking for advice.

Because I don't want tomorrow to be another one of those days!!!!!

No comments: