Sunday, January 11, 2009

Enjoying a Big Glass of Wine (or is it Whine?)


So I got home about 30 minutes ago from my callback in St. Louis. I'm amazed I made it through the day.

I got out about 15 minutes later than I would have liked, but still in good time. The trip was easy enough . . . until I GOT there.
Silly me forgot to make certain the auditions were taking place at the theatre's "home address." It crossed my mind once en route, but I forged ahead with my misguided plan and got there a full hour before my audition.

But things didn't look right. There were no cars in the lot. There were no signs on the doors. It was impossibly quiet. I tried looking through my e-mail to see if I could find the posting and I even tried to look up actorsequity.org on my phone. Alas, my phone isn't GREAT at the world wide web and I was thwarted. So I gathered my things and tried the door.

Of course it was locked.

So 15 minutes have passed and I get back in my car and call the most trustworthy of men: my father. Fortunately, he was home and quickly jumped on the computer for me to search out my true destination. Now, my father is a DEAR man and pretty savvy when it comes to computers, but he never learned to type so he had to hunt and peck his way through the search. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking! Surprisingly, I remained calm and patient and sure enough, he found out where I was SUPPOSED to be.

He tells me the address and I have never been happier to have a GPS system for my car. I typed in the address and bid my fabulous father farewell as I drove off. Naturally, I had PASSED the real audition site about 7.5 miles back.

Why, when I am in a particular hurry, do I always hit every red light? Still, I have some cushion and I'm on my way so I relax and try to do a quick vocal warm-up in the car.

I manage to reach my final destination (in spite of missing one turn), with 18 minutes to my audition appointment. I run into the rehearsal hall, check in with the stage manager, and fill out my paper work. Just as I'm finishing that up, she says it will be just a few minutes. Sure, I reply and head to the bathroom.

As I'm EXITING the bathroom, the stage manager is on top of me telling me it's my turn. WHAT? But it's EARLY! Still, I say okay, gather my sides, and head in.

It's a friendly enough room . . . the artistic director (whom I know), the director (whom I've heard of), and two readers. We make our introductions, chat about mutual acquaintances (the director even says he saw me in a show in DC . . . but that he didn't really remember it . . . so maybe that wasn't so friendly . . . to be told you're utterly forgettable before an audition . . . still, it was around 8 years ago so maybe I shouldn't take it so personally . . . but I digress) and then I read. They laugh at the end, which always relaxes me, and he says I'm good and I should begin again to get all my beats. Yeah, I had been a bit unnerved at the top due to not even having time to collect myself. So I repeat it, they laugh again, and I am free to go.

Now, if you read yesterday's entry, you know I was struggling with a dilemma. My solution was to say I could not stay for the singing audition (and to be fair, it is a 3.5 hour drive and I have to teach tomorrow!). They didn't ask any questions about it and so I just walked out and hit the road again.

So I am BACK and I have decided to enjoy a big glass of wine, whine a little to all of you about my day, and forget about doing any more work. I realize this means tomorrow will be an early start. But frankly, I am ready to sit back, cuddle with my animals, and do NOTHING.

Actually, I won't be doing nothing . . . I think I'll get started on the Artist's Way (finally!). This morning I had a moment of "coincidence" (Julia Cameron will call it something else as I recall) so I'm wondering if the energy in my life is already moving around some.

So no more whining . . . well, for now. But I think I will help myself to some more wine!

No comments: