Friday, January 02, 2009

Limbo

Another quiet morning in Atlanta. My brother is at work and most of the kids are still sleeping (my niece was awakened by Stella this morning - it's really cute how tight they've become). I think H may be padding around now . . . at least I saw their dog outside so that's the assumption I've made.

It's raining here today. SIGH. I'm bummed as I was looking forward to a nice long walk this morning. But I'm going to hold off and see if the rain doesn't let up.

My brother and I had a great hike yesterday. They live really near a FABULOUS network of bike paths in the woods and we've been visiting there regularly since my arrival. It makes me really miss DC and Rock Creek Park. My new home has nothing like that anywhere nearby. Certainly there are hiking trails, but none that are easily accessed. That's another reason I'm not sure staying where I am is a good idea. Not that I even have that option at this point, but as a finalist for this "on hold" position, I do need to really consider what it would mean to say yes to stay there.

I realize nothing is permanent - LOL - I'm the QUEEN of nothing is permanent! Still, should I say yes to this position I imagine I would want to put in a few years. At my age, a few years seems like a long time . . . can I afford it?

The natural surroundings aren't the only reason I debate staying. I miss urban living so much. It's nearly a physical want now. And I'm far away from all the people who are truly important in my life: my family and my closest friends.

I also think about the fact that I am three hours away from any real artistic community and that makes the tenure process extremely difficult. SIGH. Yes, I'm putting the cart before the horse, but one needs to sit on all these things at this stage in the game.

I've applied to a position at a university near my beloved DC and am bummed I haven't heard anything. Of course, they may also be dealing with the economic downturn and have had to put their search on hold, too. In fact, I haven't heard from any other place to which I've applied! This concerns me because by this time last year I had conducted a few phone interviews, had visited one campus, and was scheduled to visit one more. I wonder if the market is especially competitive this year because of the economy and I'm just not as desirable a commodity or if everything has just paused.

So I remain in limbo, continue to search for positions, and wonder what the future will hold. I am remaining positive however! Limbo isn't a bad place to be if you think of it as a place full of potential!

No comments: