Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Artist's Way

I'm sure those that know me are laughing at my title, knowing already I am ONCE AGAIN, travelling down the crazy path of the Artist's Way. I have been down this path numerous times and have yet to actually FINISH IT.

Well, laugh it up. It doesn't matter. In this winter of my discontent, I am needing something to ground me and lead me toward a happier, more fulfilling life. The Artist's Way has helped me each time I've pursued it, regardless of not finishing.

The closest I came to finishing was a good 7 or 8 years ago, I think. I was living the freelance actor life in DC and was unhappy with my lack of success. I returned to The Artist's Way out of desperation (as I recall) and it turned my life and career around.

So I am looking for a similar jump-start. And after a quick IM with a good friend, we decided to take the plunge together and meet online once a week to discuss our progress. Of course, with my current track record, I have my doubts, but none-the-less I am doing it now and that's a start.

The hardest part for me is MAKING the time to do the things that are required. As busy as I am, and with classes starting next week, I wonder how I can fit in the morning pages, the artist date, and the tasks on top of my teaching, directing, and what I hope will be a regular running schedule (oh yeah, and Stella's obedience training and my job hunt). WHEW.

Still, what I remember from my past experiences on this 12-step program for recovering artists (Julia Cameron's comparison, not mine!), is that it actually gets easier.

So I'm off on the journey yet again, hoping to find my way. Anybody else care to join me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I emailed you regarding this...I might be up for it. Let's chat!
brian

cjc said...

I'm in...

SAS said...

I've never done this, but would be interested in trying--give me the scoop. Do I just start the book? How would check-in's work long distance? I have a loaded up spring but would love to get creative juices flowing before then............ miss you, too.

SAS said...

What book do I work from?
xo