Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I've Heard of Going the Extra Mile . . .

. . . but THIS is ridiculous!!!! I mean, really . . . those poor racers. Sure, it makes for a terrific story - after you've recovered - but oh! the pain you endure to get there.

I ususally hit the wall, depending on how well I'm running, somewhere between 18 and 24 miles. All I want to do those last two miles is die. But if those last two became THREE???? I WOULD die. Those officials in Honolulu better be CERTAIN of the distance!

Training begins in earnest this Saturday and I'm nervous and excited. Of course, just as we're getting ready to start, SUMMER has arrived in all of it's hot and humid glory here in DC. Zoe and I ran a maintenance run at 7 this morning and Zoe was panting before we left our front yard. We hit the fountains early this morning - my vain effort to appease her in hopes she would run like the wind. Why do I kid myself? She ran like a brick (and once home proceeded to STEAL my peanut butter toast right off my plate - surely punishment for making her run in the heat).

I learned last week one of the actors in Big Death is a big runner - like, crazy insane runner. He's run ultra marathons and runs every day, rain or shine. IMPRESSIVE. I'm not certain my body could handle the stress. He's built for it though. It's good for me to know people like that - people that can inspire me to push my boundaries and improve. It's too bad I won't be seeing him on a more regular basis. Alas! Big Death closes this weekend and as I am now in rehearsal for Merry Wives, I may only get back to Woolly one more time.

We had our first read-thru for Merry Wives and what a blast! I am so looking forward to getting this show in its feet. More to come regarding that, I'm sure.

Of course, this means my schedule is pretty kooky. I will be driving home from Baltimore each night and getting back around 11:30 or so. This makes my morning runs a little tough - especially when the mileage starts to increase. However, I know I can do it since the FIRST time I did this program I was commuting from RICHMOND. Imagine driving 2 hours home after performing in Hamlet (which ended at 11pm) and then getting up to run 15+ miles at 5am!!! This schedule is easy by comparison.

So . . . my summer is off to a roaring start and I'm so happy. That's the key - run happy.

Even if I have to run an extra mile.

No comments: