Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Gremlins and Fairies

Oh man, does this article speak to me! My Gemlin is as loud and obnoxious as they get. It tells me I'm not training hard enough or often enough. It tells me I must find time to get my cross-training in. It tells me life outside of training must be sacrificed.

But my Gremlin doesn't limit itself to my training. It yells at me about everything - my career (you're not auditioning enough!), my lovelife (he's way too good for you!), my looks (looking your age today aren't you?), my house (what a mess!) - pretty much it's a stream of conscious Gremlin monologue.

It's exhausting to listen to it and even worse to act on what it says. It really doesn't have my best interests at heart. Does it even have a heart? Doubtful.

So how does one block out the roaring voice of the Gremlin? It's a serious question I pose and am looking for suggestions.

One way is to seek the Fairies for help. No, I haven't lost my mind completely and you do not need to burn me for a witch. It's as simple as drawing a card - a Fairy Card. My co-workers (the BOBs) and I will often draw a fairy card when we need to hear a supportive voice in our head. Fairies are proactive. Fairies are caring. Fairies are FUN.

Okay, okay - laugh it up. But let me tell you, the Fairies KNOW. One particularly skeptical friend decided to draw a card during a difficult time. As she was shuffling a card shot out of the deck. She looked at it, shrugged it off and started over shuffling. This time she managed to draw a card and you guessed it - it was the SAME card. This is not unusual.

Lately, my Gremlin has been beating me to a pulp about a certain situation in my life. It has kept me awake at night and made me anxious, jealous, and sad. So I sought solace in the Fairies today and drew: Feeling Safe. Did that ever shut the Gremlin up!

I realize it won't stay quiet forever . . . but I'll enjoy the peace and quiet while I can. And when I have a bad run, bad audition, or even bad hair day I know how to turn the Gremlin volume down.

How do you gag your Gremlin?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your gremlin doesn't know what it (he?) is talking about. There is not a man on this planet who is too good for you (but plenty that aren't good enough), your career is going well right now, you don't look a day over...ummm, how about 30? And your house is just a little cluttered, that's all. Love, The Not-Quite-So Skeptic (these days).

Anonymous said...

I tried to remind myself that sometimes your mind is like a bad neighborhood and you just need to just GET OUT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

Cynthia
a long lost from LA