Friday, October 07, 2005

Running Late

I am often "running late."

In high school, my quote in the yearbook was "You guys, WAIT!" Typically I was behind my friends and family . . . always trying to catch up.

This carried on into my adult life and I find myself constantly racing against the clock to be on time . . . I often don't succeed.

I blame my mother - or more accurately her doctor. You see, my mother is a VERY small woman (never weighed over 100 lbs except when pregnant small) and when she gave birth to my brother, she was the smallest mommy in the hospital - with the LARGEST baby (yeah, he was a TANK). So, when my mom was nearing her delivery date with me (Christmas) and was still gaining weight, her doctor decided she shouldn't carry to full-term as it would be dangerous. My mother's theory was that he was vacationing someplace exotic for the Holidays and didn't want to have to stick around . . . I think that likely. Anway, my mother was scheduled to be induced early on December 12th (not the next day as that would have been Friday the 13th). She was brought in with the other mothers, given her shot, and one by one watched the other woman go into labor. So they gave her another shot. And another. And another - that's when my mom stopped counting. Clearly, I was NOT READY to arrive. I was being rushed. I had things to do. I had to prepare for life outside the womb! I was HOLDING ON FOR DEAR LIFE. Of course, she eventually went into labor and I was born that afternoon, but I maintain that because I was forced to be two weeks early I have spent the rest of my life trying to catch up. I'm always running late.

Last night "running late" took on a new meaning to me. Last night, for the first time, I ran with the DC Front Runners. Though I am not gay, I am one of "their friends" and my Tegla pace group leader runs with them twice a week. Since Zoe is refusing to come out of semi-retirement, I have decided to begin running my maintenance runs with the Front Runners and they run "late" - which to me is 7pm.

We met at Dupont Circle and since it was already dark by the time we left, we took the best lit route from that point - up Massachusetts Ave. And when I say up, I mean UP. It's a two mile climb to the National Cathedral and then another mile with a hill about half way to American University. UGH. Though I have been running the Independence Ave hill at least once a week, it pales by comparison. The total mileage was about 6 miles. It was quite a cardio workout for me - a rare experience anymore when I'm running - clearly I need to shake up my workout!

So I think this is a good choice. Of course it means getting used to running at night now. I'll have to make the appropriate adjustments food-wise and all. I had eaten too late and hadn't consumed enough water yesterday so I got some side cramps on the way up the hill. And I'll have to make some adjustments to my evening schedule as well - eating late, getting home late, etc. But I think it's worth it. We'll run from Union Station on Tuesdays (much more convenient to Hill East) and keep running from Dupont on Thursdays.

I'm excited about my new training regimen - "running late." And who knows - maybe by running late now, I can arrive early at the finish line!

No comments: