Monday, October 31, 2005

Pumpkin Carving


Last night I had some friends over to carve pumpkins in preparation for tonight - Halloween.

I have done this a couple of times in the past and I just love it. As adults, we forget how much fun it is to carve pumpkins. We're so busy going to costume parties and getting drunk we forget the pure and simple fun of plunging our bare hands into pumpkin guts.

There weren't many of us, which is often what happens, but we sure were creative. When the pumpkins were carved and lit it was really beautiful. We had three "traditional" jack-o-lanterns: one had a bat-shaped mouth, one looked like a samurai, and one was your CLASSIC cut. We also had a spider and a kitty cat (yes, that was mine, in honor of Beatrice's first Halloween). We set them out on the deck, all lit up, and oooed and ahhhed over them.

Then we dug into some FABULOUS food and wine and watched Silence of the Lambs. I had also rented Rear Window and The Ring, but we had two Lamb virgins so we opted to go for the suspenseful serial killer. It's such a great movie - no matter how many times I've seen it something surprises me.

Sadly, tonight I have to work, so I can't hand out candy and see all the neighborhood kiddies in their costumes. I'm disappointed. But at least I was able to get in the spooky spirit last night!

No comments: