Monday, October 17, 2005

1:57:09

Well, I did it. I ran the Baltimore Half-Marathon in under two hours. Just barely, but I did it. According to my chip time, I averaged a 9:05 mile. I am pleased enough with that pace and just glad the race didn't kill me.

Believe me, there were times I thought it would. I tell you, the first 8 miles were all uphill and for once I don't think I'm exaggerating. Every time we'd crest a hill, we'd turn a corner and there would be another one. Ugh. I hate hills.

So I was a little sore when I finished, but with the exception of what has become chronic back pain (since the 20 miler a few weeks ago) I feel great. It was a beautiful day - sunny and cool - a little breezier than I like 'cause I'm not fond of head winds like I'm not fond of hills.

I ran with two friends - okay, so I ran the first several miles with two friends. They are both a decade younger and men and though I generally don't like to make excuses, I believe those facts do make a difference when it comes to running. They didn't finish MUCH faster than I did.

My parents were in town for the race - it's always so great to see them along the route. We missed each other early on, but I saw them as I approached the finish line. They are the most amazing supporters. My mother even wore her "Runners Mother" shirt I bought her a couple of years ago for the Marine Corps Marathon. She is one dedicated mom.

So now I focus solely on the marathon in December. It isn't that far away now. The 1/2 marathon taught me a couple of things though: I can sustain a good pace and I can finish strong. Not surprisingly they go hand in hand. And if I'm lucky, I will repeat that dynamic duo in December.

No comments: