Sunday, October 02, 2005

20 Down . . .

. . . 6.2 to go.

Yup, ran 20 miles yesterday and it went remarkably well. Only a 10K left and next thing you know we're off for Honolulu! Actually, it doesn't work QUITE like that - in three weeks we run 23 and in six we run 26. After that, it's a short month to the marathon. :)

We had Sunday's Team Tegla join us this week due to the Army 10-miler and they will be running with us for the last two long runs as well. It was GREAT having them. Between the two groups, we had four current or retired Army and they sure know how to motivate. Becca got us going on some silly, made-up cadences for inspiration - one of which I ended up the butt of a really funny joke just because I happened to be running in front of her. She's not great at rhyming on the fly, but this particular time she nailed me.

We really got going when Captain Ron, former Airborne, began running the cadences. He got us through some of the harder middle miles and we ran tight and fast as he called and we repeated. It was actually FUN. Then Becca remembered one and helped us out . . . just in time to pass Coach Rick. He just smiled as he passed us by . . . in fact, most people smiled as we ran by them singing.

We all ran pretty well and it was great fun running through the pack of AIDS Walkers. They had their big walk around the mall just as we were finishing our run. It was great to see so many people out for the same cause.

We finished in just over 3 1/2 hours, so I have high hopes for a strong marathon finish. That was with slowing our pace down and with more frequent walk breaks. Maybe under 4 is possible without the speed work?

After the run yesterday, I quick showered and went with a friend and my housemate to Barracks Row for a small street fair and the Blessing of the Animals. Zoe and Sandy joined us, of course, and got blessed . . . not that any of us are big on organized religion, but I like the idea of Zoe being watched over. It was a gorgeous day and by the time we got the dogs blessed and went up and down the street, I needed to SIT DOWN.

So my friend and I came home while my housemate went to work and we watched the final episode of last season's LOST. Now I can get caught up with this season! It is, in my opinion, the best show on television and frankly the only one I watch with any regularity.

Then we hit La Lomita, sat outside, and enjoyed some Mexican food and a pitcher for dinner. Needless to say I was asleep by 9pm! Not typical.

Today I'm off to do a reading for Theatre J and more practical at home stuff. Tomorrow morning I'm back at Rock Creek Park for a run with Zoe. Got to stay faithful to the maintenance run!

Only 6.2 miles and 10 weeks to Honolulu - but whose counting?

No comments: