Sunday, October 23, 2005

Big City Kitty Delayed

Well, it looks like Kitty's trip to the Big Apple and her new home has been delayed . . . for who knows how long.

I took the dear thing back to the vet today and she is now believed to be a MERE FOUR WEEKS OLD. That means I rescued her off the street as young as two weeks! Poor BABY. She was weighed for the first time today - she's not even a full pound of kitty.

She still has her respiratory infection, and because she caught the herpes virus (the cold culprit) at so young an age, it will probably be with her forever. Which means it may flare up throughout her life. SIGH.

She was dewormed again and the vet also suspects she has ringworm, so she has been tested and needs to be shampood daily for THAT. I also need to continue her antibiotic eye gel twice a day. WHEW - this sweet stray is labor and cost intensive! When she is finally healthy and old enough, we begin her vaccinations.

I have to go BACK in the next couple of days with a fecal sample (oh joy oh rapture) because she didn't have anything in her this morning. The dear girl was brave and quiet throughout the treatment - just shivered due to cold or nerves (or maybe both). She is now sleeping off the morning's trauma all bundled up and will once again go to work with me today.

I am torn about the delayed trip to NYC. In one way I am happy she'll be around a little longer, but in another way I am worried that I will grow even more attached over her recovery time and giving her up will be very difficult. Sandy is quite fond of her, and though Zoe has relaxed some and tolerates her better than before, it would be a long battle to have them co-exist peacefully.

But I remain open and positive. For whatever reason the universe felt it necessary this kitty be in my life right now - for the life of me I can't figure it out, but am willing to live with not knowing. I find it fascinating that my housemate and I applied to foster a Katrina dog and have not heard anything . . . at the same time this kitty comes into our home. Things that make you go "hmmmmm."

For now, it's off to launder the dirty kitty towels and figure out how to set up my room knowing she will be here for a while. Though it means my life remains disrupted, all that work is worth it when she sleeps on my chest and purrs contentedly.

No comments: