Saturday, February 06, 2010

The Year of Marathon Seven?

I cannot believe it has been FOUR MONTHS since my last post. SIGH. I think since I don't have a specific race, and a charity one at that, I just don't make the time like I used to.

Well, maybe things are about to change. My brother and sister-in-law are planning on running the Kentucky Derby 1/2 Marathon in April and have asked me to join them. I haven't committed to it yet since I'm not sure what my school schedule will be like (it's so close to the end of the semester - a NUTTY time for me). Still, I am looking ahead as if I'll run the race.

Now, I ran this race with my brother way back in . . . 2006 was it? Sheesh. I generally prefer to run NEW races, but at this point I need ANY race to get me back into shape.

Part of my training plan is to teach Stella, my pit/boxer mix, to be my running partner. So far, she is reluctant. This morning we managed 3 miles, but I had to work pretty hard to keep her going for the last mile. To be fair, she has no stamina built up and it's quite possible either breed is not good at distances. And frankly, all other dogs will pale somewhat to my beloved Zoe. She helped me train for all of my previous marathons and half-marathons. She's a trooper. We ran one 15 miler together in the DC heat, with her running in and out of the water, and she was eager to play when we finished. So Stella has some pretty amazing paws to fill.

But I'm so out of shape myself I can't complain. I'm hoping to keep the three mile route as our maintenance run for the time being and continue to build our mileage on the weekends. We'll see. I think if I take it one mile at a time I can get there.

What has me most motivated is the chance that another full marathon may be possible this year! I am not directing in the calendar year (having directed the cursed Macbeth last fall and looking forward to The Beaux Strategem in Spring 2011) so I can get a little more rest at night. A few friends have put in their two cents, but I am inclined to run Tucson in December of this year.

There are a lot of good reasons. My good friend PhD (one of the Hula Ladies) is down there and the weather is nearly guaranteed nice. It's my birthday weekend and the 4th Avenue Street Fair will be going on. There are lots of nice spas (in case I want to treat myself) and my semester will be nearly over by the time the race runs. These are all great things!

Yes, I dream of more exotic locales. Paris is still on my list. And Spain. Hell, pretty much anywhere I haven't been will do! But, thinking realistically, this could be the perfect race. And I might be able to convince the remaining Hula Ladies - or others! - to join the fun.

So I'm looking ahead, not behind. The past does not equal the future and certainly I can get back into marathon shape by December.

So here's to 2010. The year of marathon 7!

1 comment:

cjc said...

Squeeeeee!

A very un-PhD-like response. However, it is the immediate and spontaneous one.

I'm ready and willing to host the hula ladies for marathon and birthday shenanigans!

Maybe we can get Krista down here by then, too!