Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sergeant Stella


So this morning I slept a little later than I intended. Maybe it was the sore throat, maybe it was my plaguing fatigue, or maybe it was both. Or maybe it was Tuesday's P90X plyometrics and my whole lower body was still sore!

I don't teach until 11 AM on Thursdays, however I do like to get to campus at a reasonable hour. So as I was dressing to walk the dogs, I was debating running.

The walk took about an hour as well - the dogs were enjoying a little sunshine and were taking their time - so by the time I got back, I had pretty much talked myself out of my maintenance run for the morning. I was telling myself I would get it in this evening after work.

I always unleash the dogs in the yard and then they can stay outside for a bit if they like. Stella followed me in and right to the where I hang the leashes. As I was hanging them up, feeling a little guilty about not running, Stella sat down and looked right at me, quivering a whole body quiver. The following is my recollection of our exchange:

Me: "What?"

Stella: Quiver.

Me: "What is it?"

Stella: Quiver.

Me: "What - you want to run?"

Stella: Quiver. Quiver.

Me: "You WANT to run?"

Stella: Hits me with a boxing paw.

You get the picture. Stella was insisting we go for a run! I couldn't believe it. So I looked at the clock and relented. Stella was right, after all. I'm not so good at afternoon/evening running; I usually find some sort of excuse to keep me from doing it. And she was determined to get it done.

So I quick changed my jacket, called the other dogs in, crated the little guys, and gave treats all around. Then I put Stella's gentle leader on (she was so excited she sat still - a rarity) and we were on our way. Stella sprinted down the driveway! Well, my plyometric-pained legs started screaming at me, so I had to negotiate a different pace with my dog-turned-drill-sergeant. We finally found one we could both agree on and settled in.

It was not easy, but I ran my 3 miles.
And I'm still very sore. But I'm also very grateful to my new and enthusiastic trainer for helping me get it done.

Good dog!

No comments: