Saturday, February 13, 2010

How Stella Found Her Groove

Well, Stella and I got in 4 miles today. Yup, even Stella managed to stay with me to the bitter end. I think I can make a distance dog out of her yet.

I wasn't sure how it was going to go when I first got up. As usual, I let the dogs out, then fed them, then got ready to walk them. As we embarked on our usual 2 mile walk, it started to snow. No big deal. By the time we reached the half-way point, it was really coming down. The streets were quickly disappearing under a blanket of the white stuff and when we hit the 3/4 mark, it was snowing so hard I had to keep my head down. I was surprised by it, and didn't enjoy getting it in my eyes, but otherwise enjoyed it. It was sure pretty and everything appears so peaceful.

We got home and I had to change my jacket as well as get the little dogs in their crates. When Stella and I left for the run, it had stopped. So much for pretty and peaceful. Now it was just messy.

But we went on our way. Now, as it is Springfield and I am the pied-piper, I saw a stray dog along the run. I tried to call it to me, but it was too scared and trotted off the other way. I know, I know - no more dogs! But I just can't run past a loose animal and not TRY.

Stella was a trooper. About the half-way point, she wavered a little . . . but then she saw another dog and suddenly her energy was up and she was raring to go. Of course, for Stella the increase in energy was to attack the dog . . . but I reigned her in and when we passed the dog, she found her groove. After that, it was like she'd been running with me all her life.

It's hard leaving Zoe behind; and Zoe gets a little jealous when we leave (so did the little boys, but they get over it quickly). But I know it's best for all to leave Zoe here and take Stella along.

So next maintenance run is Monday morning. It's a long weekend for me - hurrah! Of course, that doesn't mean I won't be working.

Still, it feels good to be finding a routine again. And now that she's found it, let's hope Stella doesn't loose her groove.

1 comment:

Gay said...

I'm right there with ya, in spirit! U Go grl.