Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Following Impulses

Okay, so in my more specific goal of running my 7th marathon this year, I also have a more general goal of getting back into shape. I have actually been doing a workout DVD at home on my non-run days, but I was getting bored and frankly wasn't having near enough fun. I had seen some ads on TV for other DVDs and was even debating a purchase, when my school Health & Wellness Program advertised a P90X CLASS.

Well, I had heard my students raving about P90X so I thought it would be worth checking out. On impulse, I contacted the H&W coordinator and she said before I could participate I had to take a fitness test. Really? Just to participate? Apparently.

That gave me pause.

But I decided to go for it anyway. I went for my fitness test and the first thing I had to do was a pull-up! WTF? I couldn't even do pull-ups in elementary, and I sure as hell can't do them now! From there I had to do wall sits, and a jump test, and push-ups (those I CAN do), and a bunch of those really hard "crunches" where you have to keep both legs up and your back up and BALANCE as you do them, and a load of jumping jacks.

By the time I finished the test, I wasn't sure I wanted to join a fitness program that required me to be fit in the first place! Still, I passed, and made the commitment to particpate (I had nothing to lose - it was free!).

So last night was our first workout. I arrived with a great deal of fear and trepidation after the fitness test. There were 18 of us, mostly men, and our instructor - I'll call him JJ - handed out these NOTEBOOKS full of information about the program and what to eat and when. This was NOT alleviating my fears, but I was kind of excited about having some plan on how to eat. Then we started with a cardio program. I really liked the beginning as it used a lot of yoga and I had been missing a regular yoga practice (I may try to find a Sunday morning class still). Then we progressed to more intense exercises. I was able to keep up most of the time, but they did this thing called a Dreya roll and that's when I just laughed. I'm hoping I'll eventually figure it out.

Now, I was very worried I wouldn't be able to move this morning, so later last night I took a whirlpool bath (love my tub!) in hopes that it would help. I'm happy to report that, though I do feel the major muscle groups today, I am not immobilized by pain. Whew!

Of course, the food thing is another issue. I managed to have some good choices for dinner last night - a vegetarian chicken replacement (considered ultra-lean) and some steamed veggies. And breakfast was all right as well with cereal and fruit. But when I took a good look at the breakdown in proteins, carbs, etc. I discovered my carb addiction cannot be fed on this plan. SIGH. At least, not for a few weeks. In fact, I'm going to have to figure out how to get all the protein suggested! Perhaps this weekend I'll spend some time looking for recipes that utilize the recommended protein sources. If I can remain enthusiastic about the program, perhaps I can break myself of my convenience food eating and start cooking more.

I only have a few complaints thus far. First, though JJ is enthusiastic, he just does the workout with us instead of helping us get the moves down or correct our form (in fact, based on a few moves I saw him do, his form isn't good). Also, I wish they had measured us so we could do a before/after comparison. Finally, though you do warm up quickly, the room is a little chilly and that's no so good at the start or finish of any workout.

Still, most things being positive right now, I'm going back. Tonight is our second night and we will be working out 3 nights a week. This fits in great with my running program, although I'll have to switch up one of my running days. I just need to get Stella on the band-wagon.

This is one impulse I hope to keep following!

1 comment:

Gay said...

Hey, Sara,

I have p90X, LOVE IT. HATE IT. Don't have pull-up bars, but the bands w/handles, and that's tough! Since Jan 1 - 10 pounds lost - well, not exactly lost, I'm not looking for them. Keep it up - it gets easier .. at least that's what I hear!(oh, and I'm officially a certified personal trainer - how's that for snicks!)