Monday, February 15, 2010

Three Day Weekend

Today is Presidents Day and a holiday for me. Not that too many presidents of the past deserve a day of honor, but knowing this is really supposed to be called Washington's Birthday I'll let it slide.

I'm not going to complain about an extra day off. I was ready for it after last week's dossier madness.

This morning, I got up and like Saturday, it was snowing when I took the dogs for their walk. Unlike last Saturday, when Stella and I hit the road for our maintenance run (3 miles), it was still snowing. And blowing. And COLD. Holy crap was it cold!

In fact, I spent the first 1.5 miles debating only going 2. But, I'm really trying to live up to the "no excuses" attitude I adopted early in the year, and I made myself go the full 3.

Now, I'm generally a fair weather runner. And this runs in my family. I spoke to my brother yesterday, and he ran 5.5 Saturday and said it was miserable. It was 30 degrees - boo hoo! He's so spoiled by the Atlanta weather! Still, like him, I like optimum conditions when I run.

When I got back from my run, with no feeling in my feet, fingers, or face, I decided to check the Weather Channel. Well, the air temperature was just at 10 degrees and the wind chill was 1. Yes, 1 degree above zero. I'd swear it dipped below that zero mark a few times on our run.

People who live in Minneapolis or Chicago or Detroit and run all winter are either dedicated or mentally deranged. I'm going for the second. Seriously, do you just get used to it? 'Cause as I was running, I had trouble keeping my legs warm and it made me feel like I was running with lead legs. NOT FUN. And not something I'd want to get used to!

Still, I did it. And so did Stella with no complaints. Even when, during our last mile, we were running switchbacks that kept us facing the wind every other quarter-mile or so.

So today I try to enjoy the last day of my three day weekend. Funny, though, how you never really take the break, isn't it? I mean, I have managed to fill each day with chores, and errands, all sorts of things on my long "to-do" list. When really, I'd much rather be sitting in front of my fire, reading a good book.

SIGH. And, I've been trying to keep some kind of bug away. I've had a slightly sore throat for four days now. Fortunately, it hasn't good worse. Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten better.

What is it about taking time off - really off - that's so difficult for so many of us? Now, my current excuse would be that I got back to campus 3 weeks into a semester already in progress and I've been catching up ever since. But what about those times when you really don't have an excuse? What makes me mop my basement floor instead of reading or watching a silly movie? If I knew, maybe I'd be able to change my pattern.

Still, I did make some really amazing soup yesterday. So that was kind of a gift to me. And tonight I'm meeting a colleague for happy hour at a fun downtown spot.

Tomorrow, it's back to the grind on campus. And back to P90X. And by Friday, I'm sure I'll be ready for another three day weekend! Instead I get to go to Arkansas for a recruitment event. Whoopie!

1 comment:

lifestudent said...

You do totally get used to it. In fact, when Im conditioned enough to be used to it, I actually prefer running in the cold. BUT, I dont like to run when the windchill (or actual temp) is below 10.