Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pied Piper

I guess I'm just going to have to accept it: I am the pied piper of strays.

Seriously. Shortly after I moved here, I found Stella and then 3 days later I found Buster. Though Buster went to another home briefly, he returned here and has remained one of my "permanent pack."

Then 4 months later I found Brimley. And a month after that, he went to his new home.

But the busiest season has surely been this past month. Three weeks ago, I found Annie and Oliver, as posted. Annie is getting closer and closer to finding a home . . . The Artist really wants her and as long as her boyfriend likes Annie when he meets her in a couple of weeks, Annie will be placed. Sadly, we're still searching for a home for Oliver.
Then last weekend Henry (my indoor cat) escaped the house and I couldn't wrangle him before I had to go to rehearsal. When I returned after 11pm that night, he wasn't to be found near the house. So, of course, I go looking for him, calling his name.

Behind my house about a half block, I call his name and in response I hear this very little "mew." Those that know Henry, my very talkative cat, know he doesn't make diminutive sounds. He's a man's cat! So I just called "kitty, kitty, kitty" and before I knew it a little kitten is running out to me. No, I'm not kidding.

Here she is:

Fortunately, I have a local friend who has been talking about getting a second cat since September, so I immediately checked in with her. As long as nobody claims this sweet girl (I'm calling her Clementine), she's going to The Writer next weekend. I'll be really sorry to see her go . . . she's the most affectionate, mild mannered kitty I've ever known. And as tempting as it is to keep her, I know she'll be better off with The Writer and my cats will be happier. Yes, I did eventually find Henry.

So I'm feeling pretty confident about two of the three current strays moving on by mid-March and that the household will calm down a bit . . . when Taco decides to enter my life. Yesterday morning, I'm out walking my permanent pack when we come across this little Chihuahua mix. I don't recognize him from the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean he doesn't belong there. He is, OF COURSE, without a collar . . . and very friendly. He comes right up to us and meets my pack. And then proceeds to follow us home. Yup. Every step of the way as if he belonged with us. All the way to the fence and into the gate.

Well, naturally I brought him inside, fed him, and gated him. I immediately checked craigslist, but nobody was searching for a Chihuahua. Not one posting. SIGH.

So I post I've found him and proceed with my day.

When I returned from work, he had jumped his gate and was hanging out with my pack. I guess they like him. But there were no phone calls from anybody looking for him. So I head back to campus for rehearsal and when I get home at my usual 11pm or so, lo and behold there are TWO messages!

I listen to the first, a friend of somebody looking for their Chihuahua, but the description is a little off. I listen to the second, the actual owner of that dog, and again the description is off. It's too late to call back, so I deal with the bedtime ritual of two packs and keep Taco with my pack. When it's time for bed, my pack falls into its routine (Zoe on her dog bed, Stella and Buster in my bed), and Taco makes himself at home on my bed, too. Yup. He's so integrated into the pack in one short day that he sleeps on the bed with no fuss from any other dog. In fact, he cuddles right up to me and spends the entire night next to my right shoulder.

So this morning, after dealing with dogs and cats, I call the owner of the missing Chihuahua. And sadly we determine that Taco is not her dog. SIGH. I'm bummed. He's a GREAT little dog. He's well mannered and very sweet. Surely somebody must be missing him! Here he is:


And I once again have a funny feeling that it will be up to me to place him. I don't think he'll be a tough one to adopt out. In fact, a good friend in Maryland has already said she'd love to have him. And a colleague knows a Chihuahua rescue in town . . . so he'll be all right.
So I'm currently caring for 6 dogs and 3 cats. My friends think I have an addiction. But I'm really not going out LOOKING for these animals! They quite literally show up at my house or follow me home. I really am a pied piper of sorts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Sigh*
If only:
We lived closer.
We had the room.
We wouldn't have a civil war on our hands (okay THAT we could deal with...)
...We'd then be happy to reduce your pack by one or two...
And Clementine looks so sweet!
*sigh*
Too mnay animals and too many people making it too hard...
Brian

lifestudent said...

I think you are in the wrong line of work. You could give Cesar Millan a run for his money. Try to get yourself a tv show ;)