Saturday, February 07, 2009

Managing the Menagerie

Well, I survived the interview process. It was two long days, but all went well - even the "research" presentation. I'm exhausted, but relieved to have it over and now I can concentrate on other, more pressing tasks.

I start rehearsals for Oedipus on Monday night. I'm excited, but still scared to death. The design elements are all coming together and I'm really looking forward to working in a more "organic" way with the cast, but we'll see how it goes. The mask designs are stunning, I have a live percussionist, and the ensemble is buzzing about getting started. Still, I have a LOT of homework related to the project and will be spending much of tomorrow working on it.
And of course there is just keeping up with my regular work. I have a bunch of grading to do as well, but I have decided today is a day of "rest" after my crazy week. A bunch of us are going to celebrate a friend's birthday later today by seeing a movie and eating bad movie food. I can't wait. :)

But of course the most pressing task is dealing with the new strays. I am calling them Annie and Oliver - the only orphan names I could think of - 'cause they need to be called SOMETHING. They are sweet dogs, but have absolutely NO LEASH behavior so I cannot walk them. And I'm still needing to deal with them as a separate pack for now.
I went to Petsmart today as they were having an adoption event with three local shelters. I figured I could talk to them in person and hopefully convince them to help me out. Well, as I figured, they have no room to house the dogs, but if I am willing to foster them, they will try to place them for me. So . . . it looks like they're mine for the foreseeable future.

Knowing that to be the case, I sought out the dog trainer there and have set up a "private" session with her to introduce the two packs. I figure if they're going to be here for a while, it would be helpful to have them all getting along! We'll see how it goes.
Of course this mean two new visits to the vet and most likely I will be spaying and neutering them. UGH. My friend PhD suggested I just apply for 501(c)3 status just so I could take donations. Perhaps she's on to something.

And, should it take longer than I would like to place them, I may have to get them into obedience school. Seriously. They have a lot to learn.
Still, they're sweet pups and deserve a good life. I know they can make somebody very happy. And per lifestudent's request, I've posted some photos.


This is Annie.

This is Oliver.

Any room in your home and heart for these fabulous canines?

If not, I'll continue to manage the menagerie . . .

1 comment:

lifestudent said...

OMG,so cute! I could never do what you do - anything I took in would be mine forever :) I'd live in a zoo!