Wednesday, February 04, 2009

You Couldn't Write this Stuff

It is said life is stranger than fiction and considering my life in recent weeks, I would have to believe it. But I choose to focus just on this week for this post because THIS week, I have my job interview.

WHY are job interviews always ridiculous times for me? WHY?

Tomorrow I begin my on-campus interview for the job I currently hold. I have to, in a way, pretend I don't already have a working relationship with these people and go through the full, tradition, arcane, insane interview process. I begin at 7:15 tomorrow morning and won't really finish until 3:30 Friday afternoon.

In between, I have TEN "meetings" of some fashion, a "research" presentation (huh?), and I get to teach in front of the people who saw me teach last year. Great fun, isn't it?

But wait, it gets better.

The Universe appears to want to screw with me - or at the very least get my attention. On Saturday night, TWO (yes, I said TWO) lost or stray dogs just SHOWED UP at my doorstep. I am not lying. They just showed up. Naturally, being the bleeding heart animal lover that I am, I took them in. But it's more complicated than all the other strays I've taken in because, as there are two of them, they are their own little pack and as such I cannot introduce them SAFELY to my pack. So I am having to keep them separated.

In essence, I am having to do double the work.

It's a shame, too, because they are sweet dogs that just want my attention when I literally have no time to give it to them.

But wait, it gets better.

When I left DC, I left the house of my dreams. True, it was a rental, but it was a huge row house on Capitol Hill, with hardwood floors and exposed brick, a fenced in back yard with a deck, two blocks from a metro stop, and just a block and a half from Congressional Cemetery where I could walk my dog off leash. As I've continued to debate being in Missouri, I've checked in with the property management agency that leases that house to see if it was listed again. Sure enough, yesterday I discovered it was going to be free beginning in March. YUP. My dream house was free again!!! Granted, a little early, but available none-the-less.

But wait, it gets better.

I get home, and in my mailbox is a letter from my CURRENT rental agency. Even though my lease expires MAY 31st, they want to know by FEBRUARY 16th if I intend to stay another year!!!! WHAT THE *#$!?

So what do you think? Is the Universe speaking to me? And if so, what EXACTLY is it saying? 'Cause really, I don't think I can take another plot development.

2 comments:

lifestudent said...

The whole stray thing is crazy...but why dont you post pics? I want to see the animals you keep taking in ;)

Anonymous said...

oh..my..god...I have no response to that...more strays? house issues? Job...Don't they know how ridiculous it is to put you through the whole rigamarole when you've been there for a year?
Yes, the Universe is laughing at you behind your back...It clearly wants something from you and isn't telling you what it is...
Brian